Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Niquitin ad

• 28-12-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think that this points out exactly why nicotine replacement products dont work?!
    It says something like (can't find a transcript)- Smoking increases the number of nicotine receptors on your tongue meaning you get cravings. Therapeutic nicotine reduces these cravings
    ...ie YOU'RE STILL ADDICTED to the drug. I hate these ads around this time of the year. I think they only remind new quitters how much they miss smoking! todays my 362nd smoke free! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Best going cold turkey in my opinion, although I'm not a smoker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

in my opinion the physical cravings are dealt with relatively easy. it's the psychological factors that make giving it up difficult, boredom, association, habit etc. i personally can't see how those products wouldn't be much more effective than a placebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I saw that ad.
    The impression I got from it is that you cannot quit smoking without some type of nicotine substitute.
    Complete crap really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

These nicotine replacements are a load of bollix imo, they are more expensive than cigarettes and do nothing for you other than draw out your suffering for longer and longer.

I tried quitting with the nicotine tabs, 6 weeks i lasted and i weened myself off them gradually, complete, utter, mind wrenching torture.

Do yourself a favour if you plan on quitting and go cold turkey, by day 3 you will feel the world better and you will have saved money rather than spent more than twice your cigarette expenditure!!

i reached 1000 cigarettes not smoked this weekend, and i gotta say i've never felt better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cold turkey is the best way to quit. Those adverts for products like Niquitin are annoying and only force the thought of smoking on those in the process of giving up smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I used the niquitin patches when i gave up (21st November 2005 yey) and i found myself much more irratible on days when i'd not put a patch on and not realised it until i asked myself why i was chewing on a chair leg or something. If i had known i didn't put one on i was much more i'll admit that!

I done the recommended 6 weeks on 21mg patches and one day on the 14mg ones and went without after that

If i was to give up again i would use them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Archeron

When I tried to quit with patches, I somehow got used to them and ended up using them AND smoking. I think the nicotine replacement stuff is rubbish, and I dont know anyone who stayed off the smokes after using it. LIke Cance says, I think it just drags the horribleness out even longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I agree, if you were to rename giving up smoking to giving up nicotine and the physical act of holding a cigarette, I don't see any point putting nicotine into your body and especially those nicotine inhalers it's like a plastic cig you don't have to light, I guess it cuts out the tar. Anybody I know that has been off smokes for a decent amount of time has used willpower, hypnosis or Allan Carr’s book. I suppose it depends on the person, after smoking for a year I gave up smoking for 6 months back in 2000/2001 I didn’t feel any bad physical effects of giving up, nothing respiratory, digestive or mental. This time around after smoking for 5 years straight I have felt pretty bad, I used patches for the first two days but it was making me feel very strange so I stopped. I guess your body gets used to having x amount of nicotine/tar added to it each day, taking that away all of a sudden despite it being bad for you, causes your body to react.

I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I used the niquitin patches when i gave up (21st November 2005 yey) and i found myself much more irratible on days when i'd not put a patch on and not realised it until i asked myself why i was chewing on a chair leg or something. If i had known i didn't put one on i was much more i'll admit that!

I done the recommended 6 weeks on 21mg patches and one day on the 14mg ones and went without after that

If i was to give up again i would use them

Glad it worked for u! I know someone who still chews the chewing gum a good few YEARS after "quitting"!
    Archeron wrote: »
    When I tried to quit with patches, I somehow got used to them and ended up using them AND smoking.

Lol, ditto! It was the habit I needed to break more so than the nicotine addiction. I managed to replace it with food (not a good idea!) and put on a stone and a half in 4 weeks! Weight is stable now though and I can breathe! :D Hope I never go back! Back to the title though, that ad is so rediculous...it just shows that youre not quitting nicotine at all! I found all of them ads used to remind me how much i wanted to smoke last year! Like the one with the fag that goes to sleep in the box. Its the "while youre asleep, youre cravings dont bother you" ad. :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

"Lose the smoke keep the fire."

Really the advertising standards authority/health board should get involved.

It is literally like advertising "Bavaria Export - the new cure for alcoholism!"

Not to mention the ad still had a sexy chick smoking in it, which does nothing to cure you of the brainwashing that keeps you smoking.

Show a nasty old Dublin hag with leathery skin, lips like a dogs arse, whacking one of her 18 kids over the head while she lights a Major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cance wrote: »
    These nicotine replacements are a load of bollix imo, they are more expensive than cigarettes and do nothing for you other than draw out your suffering for longer and longer.
    They should be subsidised, the price is way too high.
    I used tablets, these are extremely fast acting. I only smoked when drinking so no point putting patches on all week, it was only weekend smoking really.

Nicotine is not that bad for you, it actually has some medicinal properties and can be used for alzheimer's treatment. It is the most addicitive susbtance known, but in itself is not too bad. If you are inhaling the smoke of any plant material it is going to destroy your lungs, that is common sense. But you could live healthily while addicited to nicotine. The delivery method is the problem.
    It is literally like advertising "Bavaria Export - the new cure for alcoholism!"
    A better analogy would be you being injected with alcohol, or inhaling it, or some method whereby you get your alcohol fix but it bypasses most negative effects, like effects on the liver.

Advertisement