Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got a garmin nuvi 300 for xmas.question

Options
  • 28-12-2007 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

is there map updates? and should i register the product or register when the new maps come out? anything else worth downloading for it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

thegame wrote: »
    is there map updates? and should i register the product or register when the new maps come out? anything else worth downloading for it?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsUpdates.jsp?product=010-00455-01&cID=134&pID=339

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

thanks mate.updated it now.thought there might be other stuff.some of the places in the maps where i live i cant find.maybe when the new maps come out it will be fixed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Most Garmins have software updates, but come with the latest released version of maps. Some come bundled with v10 but thats not a final release - and it still doesnt meet standards, at least for one city in Ireland.

As for registering, I read a while back that some people suggest waiting until there is some update that you need to register for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭jamesd

Sully wrote: »
    Most Garmins have software updates, but come with the latest released version of maps. Some come bundled with v10 but thats not a final release - and it still doesnt meet standards, at least for one city in Ireland.

As for registering, I read a while back that some people suggest waiting until there is some update that you need to register for.

So the v10 that is on the units coming out is not the final release for version 10? When is the final release out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

jamesd wrote: »
    So the v10 that is on the units coming out is not the final release for version 10? When is the final release out?
    Yes, it is. Garmin only do one European map release every year, and this is it. As soon as it's available, they put it on their devices before they leave the factory (but obviously not for devices they've already shipped to shops/warehouses). It takes them a good while longer to get the update DVDs out. There are also two versions, NT and non-NT. Non-NT is for some of their older devices (2610, Quest, etc.). Non-NT takes even longer for the update DVDs.

Also, it's not called v10, it's called City Navigator 2008. If you read the previous threads on this forum, you'll see a link to the Java map viewer, so you can check out the detail levels for your favourite town..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yes, from what Garmin are saying. Its expected the final release is due in Febuary.

Yes, it is. Garmin only do one European map release every year, and this is it. As soon as it's available, they put it on their devices before they leave the factory (but obviously not for devices they've already shipped to shops/warehouses). It takes them a good while longer to get the update DVDs out. There are also two versions, NT and non-NT. Non-NT is for some of their older devices (2610, Quest, etc.). Non-NT takes even longer for the update DVDs.

Also, it's not called v10, it's called City Navigator 2008. If you read the previous threads on this forum, you'll see a link to the Java map viewer, so you can check out the detail levels for your favourite town..

That contradicts what Garmin have said though. There is an email here saying those maps (Ya, I know its not called v10 but meh) are not due until February..

EDIT:: Unless.. I am misunderstanding it. (See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54573811&postcount=15)

The 2008 'update' they mentioned is the official 2008 release (on DVD).
    There is no other release or update. There is no contradiction. Garmin don't release mapping patches. The update DVD is the DVD that updates your mapping from v9 to CN2008. It's not due until February.

Also, if you have problems with the mapping for your particular area, why not report them to Garmin / NavTeq? Here's the report form:
    http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/errorForm.jsp

For Ireland, NavTeq is about as good as it gets..

I have reported it, and no reply.

It'll take a year or more..
    Garmin don't make maps, they buy them from NavTeq (now Nokia).
    So if you report something, you might see it fixed in CN2009... Maybe.. ;)

AFAIK, the latest TomTom mapping (TeleAtlas) allows you to make your own mapping updates. Not certain though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement