Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC won't boot up

Options
  • 28-12-2007 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭

Just getting beeps with about 5 second intervals, I let it go for 11 beeps then switched it off. Gigabyte motherboard. Getting no signal to the monitor.

Was trying to install an audigy, plugged in all the bits tried to power up then this. Removed the audigy and tried again and same story then tried removing and reseating everything still the same story... so I'm stumped now and was wondering if one of you guys could help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

No signal at all to monitor??

Did you try reseating the Cmos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

Yeah sounds like the Cmos, i think you remove the battery on the motherboard and insert it again to reset it if im correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'll try that in the morning, thanks lads/lassies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

mrDuke wrote: »
    Yeah sounds like the Cmos, i think you remove the battery on the motherboard and insert it again to reset it if im correct.
    Correct!

I thought my MoBo or Processor had fried a couple of months ago because I had similar issues. I took everything out of the case, used a can of compressed air to clean everything. Then I reset the Processor, the RAM, the Graphics Card and the CMOS. Then I put everything back in and guess what!? It was working perfectly again!

I would suggest doing the same!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Had a similar issue recently with no signal to the monitor after installing a new memory module. Had it taken in and all they had to do was reseat the graphics card - reckon it must've gotten jostled somehow when I had the box opened. It might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement

Correct!

I thought my MoBo or Processor had fried a couple of months ago because I had similar issues. I took everything out of the case, used a can of compressed air to clean everything. Then I reset the Processor, the RAM, the Graphics Card and the CMOS. Then I put everything back in and guess what!? It was working perfectly again!

I would suggest doing the same!

Thats what I have done and no joy at all. Same story... any more ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

TAKE out memory dimms, put back in carefully, one at a time ,make sure ide cable to hardrive,cdrom,dvd,is in all the way to mobo,and the drives.BE careful re static precaution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

gamer wrote: »
    TAKE out memory dimms, put back in carefully, one at a time ,make sure ide cable to hardrive,cdrom,dvd,is in all the way to mobo,and the drives.BE careful re static precaution.
    werd. pop out the ram and slot it back in, i had the same problem and it worked for me before.

stripped it, reconnected everything, reseated everything and cleaned with compressed air and still no joy

There are different ways of re-seating the cmos, what way did you do it?

At least if you are getting beeps the power supply is working.
    Count the beeps and the length of each one and look it up in the motherboard manual as different ones represent different problems and that way you can narrow down the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Do you mean resetting the CMOS ? - not reseating.

The beeps are there to help you ie 1 beep may mean memory fault, two may mean video card fault etc.... differs from mnfr to mnfr.

You need to get the beep codes for your model.

Best way to handle this is to get the PC model /Manufacturer
    Then get the motherboard spec - maybe get the manual for the motherboard -download from the makers site.
    It may not give you the diagnostic beeps......
    You may have to get them from the support option on the motherboard makers site.

Then listen ...

short beeps ? long beeps ? how many of each etc.....
    This will tell you what's wrong.

Tell us what the pc is and we may be able to help :)

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

How old is the motherboard? Maybe the battery is dead?

Anchises wrote: »
    Do you mean resetting the CMOS ? - not reseating.

It was a reference to the battery, as in re seating it. I supposed I could have worded it better :)

OP: Some motherboards also have buttons to reset the cmos.

EDIT: My mobo, to reset cmos I have to reset the computer a couple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Did you disable onboard sound before you put in the audigy? I'm speaking from experience, just something that you may have overlooked?

I left it on for ages and it just beeped away, one beep every 6 seconds. It's a gigabyte mobo.

To reset the cmos I removed the battery and then put it back in about a minute later. There's no button to reset it. Might replace the battery then after that I'll start replacing components one by one I suppose

Advertisement