Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Extension Cable

Options
  • 28-12-2007 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Because the reception is much stronger upstairs the speed of my broadband is much better than when using it downstairs. This is fine when using my laptop but I would also like a decent connection when using my desktop in the office downstairs. If I was to leave the modem upstairs and get a USB extension to connect to my desktop downstairs would this effect the signal strenght or quality? I guess what im asking is, is there a limit on the lenght of the USB cable before the signal will be comprised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

zdooldreb wrote: »
    Because the reception is much stronger upstairs the speed of my broadband is much better than when using it downstairs. This is fine when using my laptop but I would also like a decent connection when using my desktop in the office downstairs. If I was to leave the modem upstairs and get a USB extension to connect to my desktop downstairs would this effect the signal strenght or quality? I guess what im asking is, is there a limit on the lenght of the USB cable before the signal will be comprised?

The signal on the card will be fine but your limited to 4 or 5 meters for the usb cable, longer than that and the card won't get any power from the usb ports. If you've a spare laptop or desktop PC you could set it up in a room upstairs and share out the internet connection over a network, either wireless or wired. Another option is to get a few USB hubs and chain them to where you want to go, you'll be stuck with 5m lenghts and a socket for each hub.

http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Why not run a RJ45 Ethernet cable & be done with it?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement