Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office 2007

Options
  • 28-12-2007 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy Microsoft Office 2007?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

If it's not a necessity to have Microsoft Office I would urge you to
    have a look at the 100% free Open Office Link.

Microsoft Office is expensive no matter what way you look at it :)
    I believe there is a student edition which is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Depending where you work, if your employer is a big Microsoft volume licence user they may have employee purchase options. Office 2007 is available for absolutely peanuts on our EPP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

I have noticed over the years that someone always has a spare or unused copy of microsoft office somewhere, 2007 isnt all that great, i would suggest picking up an old copy of 2003 of someone for free, or try ebay maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

mrDuke wrote: »
    I have noticed over the years that someone always has a spare or unused copy of microsoft office somewhere, 2007 isnt all that great, i would suggest picking up an old copy of 2003 of someone for free, or try ebay maybe?
    QFT! I hate Office 2007. 2000/2003 are way better IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

iF u are a student u can get it a softwareforstudents relatively cheaply
    http://www.software4students.ie/?gclid=CMX5ouCpzJACFQuuQwodbyR0XQ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I was looking for office a while back too and Software4students was definately the best value I could find.

www.studentoptions.com is another option but you just download the software rather than get discs which may not be the option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Office 2007 seems to be very slow compared to office 2003 on my xp machines. Outlook is very slow when checking (Sending and receiving mail). I wouldn't recommend it really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

QFT! I hate Office 2007. 2000/2003 are way better IMHO.

QFTx2.... Office 2007 uses a new seriously fugly interface system...

go for either Office 2000 or 2003 and get the Office 2007 xml compatibility pack off the ms website and you are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

Thanks guys. I think I will go for Office 2003. I may try and find a student to buy it for me :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Make 100% sure you save the document in the older .doc /.xls format and not the newer .docx / .xlsx format if you eve need to give the document to anyone else.

To open the new format document in an older version of office involves downloading a compatibility pack AND a service pack for it too. So the guts of 60MB and that's if they already have a copy of microsoft office. The older format can be opened by just about any decent office suite at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Before you commit to giving MS your money (they have enough already!) consider downloading the MS Office 2007 trial version, and using it free for 60 days. If you have, or know someone who has, a UK or NI university email address you can get MS Office 2007 Ultimate for £38.95 that's about €54, or even better, someone with a US university .edu email address for $59.95 or €42. If possible I think it's better to use OpenOffice for free.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget that that not everyone is legally allowed to use the home/student/academic editions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

What checks are in place for this? I bought the student version for my son and didn't see anything. Just installed the CD out of the box.

shayser wrote: »
    What checks are in place for this? I bought the student version for my son and didn't see anything. Just installed the CD out of the box.
    I hate microsoft licensing for this reason

choices
    - get a totally legit license by paying full retail price
    - try to preserve your investment by upgrading existing software, absolute bloody nightmare trying to get correct information about this, serious head wreaking stuff because they change the conditions on a regular basis. Historically it's probably cheaper to buy works and upgrade to office than buy office on it's own.

- break the license conditions and get the same product for a fraction of the price
    - - OEM
    - - upgrade based on nothing
    - - academic editions

IMHO microsoft are criminalising most of their customers by not only making it easy to break the license terms but more so by having such a huge price differnential between products that only differ in the license used.

open source means as a general rule you don't have to worry about licenses
    not upgrading means not having to figure out the gotcha's of new licenses and saves on retraining

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Saying what i said about office 2007 earlier, I quite like it now im used to it. Runs ok on my laptop with 2GB memory. Like the way outlook is layed out. Word/excel takes a bit of getting used to and ive learnt my lesson by not saving my documents in the compatible office format. Not everyone has the office 2003 compatiple pack installed!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Dont student versions of Office have a watermark on every printout stateing "Not for Commercial use" or wording to that effect?

Nick

snaps wrote: »
    Not everyone has the office 2007 compatiple pack installed!!
    Don't forget it only works with microsoft office 2000/ XP /2003 / and 2003 viewers
    It's a 56MB download by the time you get the security patch. So people on dial up need not apply.

Had a quick look and the version for Office 2004 for MAC is still beta.
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx 21MB

Older versions of office documents can be opened by just about any up to date word processor.
    I think the convertor will convert docs to office 97 format - if so then could use with thirdparty apps.

Advertisement