Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't set precise home location

Options
  • 28-12-2007 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi,

I've got a Panasonic CN-GP50 - I live in the wilds of Kildare and am having problems setting my Home location. I can save my current location as 'Home' but the unit then thinks that its 120 meters up the road. No matter what I do I can't get it to go any closer. I've got a Magellan Explorist which gives the same longitude and latitude readings as the Panasonic so I know that its calculating my location correctly from that point of view.

When I use the Panasonic in urban areas its very precise when locating junctions etc.

Is there any alternative to driving 120 meters up the road and saving that location as home?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He both your devices are giving the same readings for your location then i think you'll find it is your maps that have been aligned wrong by the manufacturer. Not a whole lot that you can do about that other than start making your own maps. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Is there some form of road lock, that is forcing the location to the nearest road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions

I've parked at the end of my driveway just beside the road when setting it - no improvement. It uses Navteq maps and seems to be up to date (the only inaccuracy has on one part of red cow roundabout - it wanted me to do a u turn where the road splits for Monastery Lane!). It says that the map is Panasonic V10 - I've no idea if that corresponds with the latest Garmin V10 maps. Hopefully it does.

I thought that when it used latitude and longitude to capture location that a map misalignment wouldn't occur as I thought that it'd be accurate to within 10 metres or so. It seems to be spot on when I'm in urban areas - when I reach a junction it knows that I'm actually at it - the 120 metre movement of my home position is hard to understand.

Its no big deal really - I thought that maybe I was missing something. I might try setting my home location in some other rural place, then an urban location and see if the same thing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Spit62500 wrote: »
    Hi,

Its no big deal really - I thought that maybe I was missing something. I might try setting my home location in some other rural place, then an urban location and see if the same thing happens.

Had a similar problem on a Garmin could not set way point to exactly
    So I used My computer to setup the way point
    then saved to Garmin device

Advertisement