Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Server(I think)

Options
  • 28-12-2007 3:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hey All,

I'm not shur if this question has been asked or ans before. If it has, Then i'm sorry for repostin.

Ok, here goes. A couple o months bac a friend o my brothers told me about a pretty cool set up he had. Basically him and a couple o guys he was living wit had set up an old pc with all their favourite games music movies etc in their apartment. They al had their own computer in their rooms and this computer sat in gav's room(my bros friend). wot he said was that they could watch/use all the stuff on this pc from their own pc without the hassle of all the info cloggin their own machines.

Thats the back story. Now basically wot i wanna do is. i wanna set up a computer in my attic(i have my main pc 4 high-end gaming n wot not in my sitting room) that can store all my downloaded torrents/movies/ music. My games etc. I assume all this has got to do with networking and servers and stuff but to be honest wen it comes to this kinda stuff i'm lost.

If i havent explained myself very well(which i'm shur is true) please jus ask me to clarify and i'll try.
    Thiis is really important to me bcause its somthing i've wanted to do for a really long time and jus dont know how.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

You're explaining a basic file server - e.g. You store all your files / music / movies etc... on a central machine that can be accessed by any number of PC's

If you want a game server - depending on the games your hosting you would need a relatively high spec processing machine, graphics card doesn’t matter.

What games did you have in mind? Also there’s not much point setting up a file server if there’s only one PC - a usb disc for backup would do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This guide is what you need. I've set it up myself only a few weeks ago, not that hard & have it as a central file server, caching proxy server, firewall (can control access to net on kids pc) & a torrent server so i can run my torrents on it and don't have to leave my pc on downstairs.

Drop us a pm if ya have any questions/problems & i'll help ya as webmin is a little buggy & some things had to be done by command line.

Good luck,
    Pog

Advertisement