Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best way to add POI's?

Options
  • 27-12-2007 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Whats the best way to add POI's?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

A bit more information would be helpful !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

A bit more information would be helpful !

:) Well what i mean is whats the best way to go about adding custom POI's that we can all share? I was driving around today adding a few places and it would be good if we could all upload them somewhere and share.

Yep Ive seen POIHandler but it doesnt seem very straightforward to upload POIs - you have to put them all in a particlar group, then convert the file . . . Well i guess i could give it a shot just thought there might be a better way! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

All POIs, at least for garmin, are certain type of files. They can be opened in Excell to see what there like - but basically, as you described seems to be the only option for making your own. If you Google it, there are many sites like POIHandler which might offer a better alternative. The sticky I refered to has a link to another site. Google has lots :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The Garmin ones are in CSV format. Basically it's just a standard text file that you can create in notepad or even DOS!

CSV means Comma Separated Values. In other words each line contains a POI with the data separated by commas, for example:

-6.4268, 57.2489, Home

Would be a standard enough line in a POI file. There's nothing else to it because all the info is there. Using Excel is a bit misleading because of the fact that it's just text and some people save the file as a worksheet and then can't figure out why the POI loader won't load it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement