Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper/Lorry setting?

Options
  • 27-12-2007 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

My Dad got a sat nav a few months ago - used it in Europe very handy. Thing is, he has a camper and had intended buying one which caters for Campers/lorries however my brother bought it for him and did buy one for lorries... He got the Garmin Nuiv 250w. Now ya can change the symbol as to have a bike, a car of a "truck" just wondering, is this simply a symbol on the map/a mimic or does this relate to the vehicle being used? I think the later would make more sense however my Dad reckons it just a gimmick.

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I wondered about that, I think it is just a gimmick, On my nuvi 300 I'm using the monster truck and it's turns on time everytime and I aint driving a monster truck:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's to do with the route, a lorry wouldn't be sent down the same route as a car if it had height restrictions etc. Same with pedestrian settings, no restrictions on one way roads etc. I think that's what they are for anyway? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

cormie wrote: »
    It's to do with the route, a lorry wouldn't be sent down the same route as a car if it had height restrictions etc. Same with pedestrian settings, no restrictions on one way roads etc. I think that's what they are for anyway? :)

That is what I am asking? We want/need one that only uses big roads, no low bridges etc, its a big camper! But I think on this Garmin it doesn't actually matter what setting you use? What Imean is that the sat nav will send you down that same road wheter you use the bike, car or truck symbol - regardless of size of vehicle/road... :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

xeroshero wrote: »
    That is what I am asking? We want/need one that only uses big roads, no low bridges etc, its a big camper! But I think on this Garmin it doesn't actually matter what setting you use? What Imean is that the sat nav will send you down that same road wheter you use the bike, car or truck symbol - regardless of size of vehicle/road... :confused:

Id tend to agree.. just if your a pedestrian, it will lead you down roads that you might not drive down.

As for roads depending on size, not to sure if that is actually a feature..

Advertisement