Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTouch "jailbreaking" - please explain

Options
  • 26-12-2007 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I rad through some other threads here and all I can gather is that it makes the iPod extremely funkeh! A link or two to get me going would be great,

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Basically, it's where you hack the iPod Touch to allow 3rd party applications to be installed

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ipodtouchmaster
    Look at his videos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Could this wreck the player?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It shouldn't if followed properly. But I would be careful, as jailbreaking the iPod Touch voids the warranty.

I've never actually done it (only got the Ipod Touch yesterday). But as far as I know, it's usually successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

It works 99.99999% of the time. The only way to break it would be to start removing files when you don't know what you're doing. Follow the videos posted above and try this site if you have any queries: www.ipodtouchfans.com

I'd really recommend doing it as it becomes so much more useful, i wouldn't use my Touch half as much as i do if it wasn't.

And as far as the warranty, if you do need to get it looked at uunder the warranty all you have to do is restore it to factory settings and it will be as good as new.

My advice would be to watch the video a few times, possibly cross-referencing with other guides on the Internet, to make sure you are 100% familiar with the guide. Also I would check the iPod touch fans link mentioned above so as you can 'learn' from other people's mistakes.
    You could even make out your checklist and tick it as you go along

Do let us know how you got on if you decide to do it. Also there are other videos on youtube about jailbreaking besides from ipodtouchmaster, but he's the best as far as I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I used this guide here, and it worked fine. Luckily enough, my iTouch came with 1.1.1, so didn't need to downgrade it first.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to go for it if I can just restore to factory settings if it all goes pear shaped. I think I'll just use the guide from the dude on youtube as the video makes it crystal clear exactly what should happen at each stage.

What kind of things can be installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Emulators, 3rd party apps, iPhone apps.

The list is surely going to keep growing as more people jailbreak, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭event

hi guys, yet another jailbreak post

can anyone gimme a list of apps that can be installed on it?

everyone says there are loads of things, but i havent seen any examples.

like can you have address books, emails, etc so that basocally it can be a PDA?

i wanna know this before i go ahead and buy one

event wrote: »
    hi guys, yet another jailbreak post

can anyone gimme a list of apps that can be installed on it?

everyone says there are loads of things, but i havent seen any examples.

like can you have address books, emails, etc so that basocally it can be a PDA?

i wanna know this before i go ahead and buy one

Google for iPhone and iTouch applications and you'll see what's available.

The iTouch has contacts and a calendar installed out of the box anyway.

• Advertisement

So I just did it about an hour ago and it went perfectly smoothly; no porblems. I used a combination of this video (to downgrade to Firmware 1.1.1) and this video (to actually jailbreak the iPod). Both were very easy to follow. The guy has really done a great job.

I haven't really downloaded many apps yet because I did it in my mates gaf (no wireless at home) but some of them look pretty interesting. Am I right in thinking that there will be a continuos practice of creating new apps? Anybody recommend some that they find useful? I did notice that the NES emulator no longer works.

Also, I presume when I next lauch iTunes it will ask me do I want to upgrade to 1.1.2; should I do this?

Check the link I posted earlier, it shows how to prepare for jailbreaking 1.1.2.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think there is an application that allows you to control your PC desktop which would be pretty cool.

there's really no point in upgrading to 1.1.2 as there really isn't much of an improvement. I've done it and it's really just hassle. As far as what apps are around, here's what i have so far:
    snap152602yv4.th.jpg
    snap152617im4.th.jpg
    snap152633pu4.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Do you have to use PC to jailbreak? I thought you could just go into safrai and type in jailbreakme.com and then install appsnap, openssh, bsd systems, launcher. Then you can download the iphone apps!! Am I wrong that all this can be done through the ipod touch itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

That is correct - you dont need a pc

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Thanks, just trying to build up the courage to jailbreak mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

So I just did it about an hour ago and it went perfectly smoothly; no porblems. I used a combination of this video (to downgrade to Firmware 1.1.1) and this video (to actually jailbreak the iPod). Both were very easy to follow. The guy has really done a great job.

I haven't really downloaded many apps yet because I did it in my mates gaf (no wireless at home) but some of them look pretty interesting. Am I right in thinking that there will be a continuos practice of creating new apps? Anybody recommend some that they find useful? I did notice that the NES emulator no longer works.

Also, I presume when I next lauch iTunes it will ask me do I want to upgrade to 1.1.2; should I do this?

Whats the link for the pc file download in that vid?

Wavey wrote: »
    Whats the link for the pc file download in that vid?

Look at the video description to the right of the video and click the "more" link. The stuff you need is in there. But as others have said, I realised once I went to jailbreak 1.1.2 that it's much easier to jsut go to jailbreakme.com. He has a video but I can't find it for some reason.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just jailbreaked my 1.2 and its lovely:)

one question though:

i have the themes thing, but i want to have my own custom wallapaper (thats always there, not just when i turn it on) i cant seem to change it though?

I think you need to install either customise or springboard from the apps list. I got some of it working (re-ordering icons etc), but not the wallpaper.

yeah i looked at the customise app, its just changing icons, sliders etc nothing about wallapapers though.

I can get the wallapers from the themes packs, but not my own:(

ah well doesnt really matter!

Try the Springboard application. It has themes you can download and select, but nothing seems to happen for me. I didn't spend too much time on it though.

• Advertisement

it's not too hard to make your own theme. You just have to:
    1. Connect into your iPod using WinSCP
    2. Go to Library>Summerboard>Themes
    3. Copy any of them themes to your Desktop
    4. Start replacing the Wallpaper, Icons, Dock,etc images
    5. When you're finished just put the folder back into where you got it from

Pretty simple, if you search around on www.ipodtouchfans.com in the themes section you'll find loads of cool themes to download and mess around with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

it's basically a GUI that will allow you to ssh into your ipod touch. since these ipod touch's are like mini computers apple has decided that you can get into them using ssh (basically like ftp but it's secure).

so there you are with winscp and your ipod touch connected to your computer you can basically rummage around the file structure of your ipod touch safely and using winscp means you don't need to use putty which if you did use you'd need to know a lot of unix command line commands just to navigate your way around the folders of your ipod touch.

Thanks Cremo:)

would i use this program to get things off my touch, ie: screenshots? and upload the roms for the emu's?

You can FTP files to the iTouch, just remember it's a secure connection when setting up your FTP client.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thanks Cremo:)

would i use this program to get things off my touch, ie: screenshots? and upload the roms for the emu's?
    yeh ssh works both ways, you can transfer to and from your pc.

i'm sure rom's are no different assuming you own the original games ;)

Advertisement