Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod Touch-wireless query

Options
  • 26-12-2007 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

My new Touch has found my eircom wireless network but is looking for password for access. Looked back over my documentation from when I got my broadband a few years ago but can't find my password!

Can I access this from my PC or do I need to contact the dreaded Eircom helpline?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes, it's your encryption key

I presume you have a Netopia router. Copy and paste this in -> http://192.168.1.254 (on your PC, not the ipod)

Press on Wireless on the left hand side of the screen

You will see "Encryption Key" followed by a 26-digit number (which may also include some letters). Enter this as the password and you should be sorted

It's a long number so you might make a mistake the first time, just re-do it. Once you connect once you won't be asked it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Great stuff Timbuk2! We're up and running now - thanks a lot.

Its my wifes iPod and I don't want to sync all the music from PC to iTouch. I've just dragged and dropped a few albums across - presume thats the handiest way?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What I did was set up iTunes, but I didn't import any music files into the library. I then copy all the music, videos etc I want into the library and it automatically syncs.

But that is more or less what you are doing lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Hi Timbuk2, I followed ur instructions, entered the encryption key but keep getting this message 'safari can't open the page because it can't find the server. What am i doing wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Sure you're connected? (Little wireless symbol top left corner, and tick mark beside the connection in the WiFi connection list under settings).

Very hard to mistype this hex key as its 26 letters, so just make sure you are connected first.

After that, you can diagnose better. It could be that your router is set up to filter MAC addresses, ie, only allow certain clients to connect. There is a section in the Netopia manual on how to do this AFAIK.

Also, re: syncing the iPod touch? What I've done is set up playlists in iTunes, and then just sync the playlists you want. I think thats much neater to handle, and saves you having music on the iPod touch that you'll never listen to. Side effect is that it frees up space for videos and podcasts.

Let me know how you get on connecting to the router.

• Advertisement

I'm sure I've entered the key correctly. There is a tick beside eircom in the connection list under settings and wifi is on but there is no wireless symbol in the top left hand corner - just battery. if i slide the arrow to the right of the eircom connection all of the boxes are blank - IP address etc. Under the advanced configuration settings for the Netopia router enable MAC authorisation is disabled - is this correct?
    Thanks a mil for ur help. This is my second day trying to set this up!!

Problem sorted - at last!! I rebooted the ipod (Hold down button on top left of ipod, silde to power off, wait a min then press again to turn on - success!!) Hope this helps someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 honeymaker

Hi all

I seem to still have a difficulty in opening webages. Have a Netopia box here from Eircom for the broadband. On the iPod everything seems grand, the tick is there in the wi-fi settings page, I also have the wi-fi icon on the top left. The IP address is 169.254.46.5. I am still getting the following error message:
    "safari can't open the page because it can't find the server"

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Advertisement