Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell PC

Options
  • 24-12-2007 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Finally ordered my pc. Have asked alot of questions over the last few weeks on this forum and it helped me come to this setup(P.S Thanks to all who helped). Please tell me if u think its worth it..... Price €954

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 8MB, 1066MHz)
    3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024/2x512]
    Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY) Monitor Not included
    SINGLE 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT card
    640GB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 Stripe (2x320GB - 7200rpm)
    19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse No Modem
    16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio
    No Speakers
    Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
    No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
    Integrated Hybrid TV Tuner card with Dell Media Remote control

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Looks like decent spec for the price m8, would cost you about as much to put together a pc with a Q6600 + 8800GT + hard disks + case and those 8800GTs are hard to get lately there so popular, so yeah looks good to me

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Lord Deco

Nice rig,looks good value to me should be able to play every game on high settings....Xps420 are suppose to be very quiet,the only negative with them is overclocking,unlike the other xps's the 420 is suppose to be a bitch to overclock

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Thanks for the replies dudes. It took me awile to get the specs that i was hapy with. I'm not a HARDcore gamer but i do like to play the odd high-end games. So glad to know this will do the job. Just hope delivery doesnt take too long.

Another question...Do ne o u guys know of a decent monitor?? Doesnt need to be incredible. Just good enuf for average gamer. I know the useual sites e.g dabs, komplett elara. I'm jus looking for a few options as i'm not shur about monitors, there all the same to me. Price range of €150-€230. I know is low but its all the €'s i got left.

Thanks in advance

You shouldnt really skimp on the monitor,most 19" monitors have a low res 1280 by 1024 pixels,with your pc you should be looking at 1680 by 1050 pixels to show off its power.....

Pixmania have a nice 20" Asus for €193 delivered....

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/00071624/pack/vw202s-20-wide-format-tft.html

Its €241 delivered on komplett,so bit of a bargain :p

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=342860

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Nice spec for the price. Personally I wouldn't go RAID0 tho. It's not real raid - no fault tolerance. Better throughput but either disk failing means data loss. Maybe reconfigure to RAID1. Disks aren't that expensive these days so you could get bigger disks in RAID1 which gives you fault tolerance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Or stick in another drive the size of both combined and mirror the raid0 array on to it. Then if one of your raid0 disk goes down you can switch over to the mirror disk until you get a new drive then clone from the mirror back to your working raid0 array.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Or get a 3rd 320Gb disk and configure it as a broken RAID5 array with only 1 member. Then mirror the RAID0 on to it. Then individually add the other two disks to the array. 640Gb with full fault tolerance by adding only 1 more drive :)

What is the evalue code for this pc Skidmcmarx?

I cant see it on the dell home/business site,is it on the epp or outlet site?

I have a friend in the uk,looking for a good value gaming pc...

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too concerned with the hard drives. I'm not massively into the tecnical side of things. Really just wanted a bit of a future proof gaming pc. As long as my hard drive stores my music, games, n movies i'll be pretty happy. Thanks for the info tho...

To LD, thanks for the replies. I was lookin at the asus LCD and it looks pretty good. Just a bit worried, are Asus actually good brand/reliable?? Will it last e.t.c??
    I've seen a decent LG...https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=324781 Its €207 including delivery.

As for the e-value code. Its IEDHSONL-D01X403 on the EPP part of the dell site. Base price is €906.

Thanks for that...

Asus are a very good brand as good as Lg no doubt,Lg you picked out looks nice you cant go wrong with that....

If you want a bargain

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4N46&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,14,4294958111

22" Viewsonic €230

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4SJT&CategorySelectedId=11109&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11109,49800000,14

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nice rig there skid. If you have an 8800gt then it is a bit of a waste getting a 19" monitor. Get a good 20 or 22" monitor.

Ok, so thanks to the reccomendations above i've decided to go for the ASUS VW202s 20\" wide format TFT Screen (5 ms) for €196 from pixmania. Any Last toughts from ne1??

Last question. Ordered my dell on 24/12/07. Was told it wud be deliverd for definite within 10days. I'm living in limerick. Not even a 5min drive fom the factory. Ne 1 got ne ideas wen it really myt be delivered though. I've heard lots of gud and lots of bad things about dells delivery service.....and i guess it is christmas too. Shud i get it in 10days????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Skidmcmarx wrote: »
    Any Last toughts from ne1??

Viewsonic 22" WS TFT - brilliant for gaming. I had a tough time letting go of my 22" visionmaster but the viewsonic was an ideal replacement - never looked back since

Sparkpea wrote: »
    Viewsonic 22" WS TFT - brilliant for gaming. I had a tough time letting go of my 22" visionmaster but the viewsonic was an ideal replacement - never looked back since

Asus monitor is very nice,cant really go wrong with it,but with a rig like yours you should be getting as big a monitor as you can get to show it off....The Viewsonic above is great value and 2 inches in that size range makes a huge difference....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Finally ordered my pc. Have asked alot of questions over the last few weeks on this forum and it helped me come to this setup(P.S Thanks to all who helped). Please tell me if u think its worth it..... Price €954

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 8MB, 1066MHz)
    3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024/2x512]
    Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY) Monitor Not included
    SINGLE 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT card
    640GB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 Stripe (2x320GB - 7200rpm)
    19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse No Modem
    16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio
    No Speakers
    Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
    No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
    Integrated Hybrid TV Tuner card with Dell Media Remote control

Thats strange for them to mix the ram of course it will work but still

Hey B Man, ur rite bout the RAM i was a little dissapointed with that. Means if i wanna upgrade to 4gigs i gotta buy 2gigs o memory, whereas if dell had given me 3gig originally as 3x1024 i'd only have to buy 1extra gig:(. Oh well tho. I aint too botherd 3 is plenty for me. What u think o the rig in general if u dont mind me askin?? Sorry if it seems stoopid to be askin. Just really wanna know if i got value for my money. Feedback so far has been pretty good..

Thanks.

P.S Haha, i said above that my last question was about delivery times. Guess i lied:p. Just wonderin if its a gud idea to buy from play-asia.com. Since i know my rig can handle the newest games i wanna pick sum up. Play-asias prices, including delivery, seem mouth-wateringly low in comparison to everywhere else i've seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Hey B Man, ur rite bout the RAM i was a little dissapointed with that. Means if i wanna upgrade to 4gigs i gotta buy 2gigs o memory, whereas if dell had given me 3gig originally as 3x1024 i'd only have to buy 1extra gig:(. Oh well tho. I aint too botherd 3 is plenty for me. What u think o the rig in general if u dont mind me askin?? Sorry if it seems stoopid to be askin. Just really wanna know if i got value for my money. Feedback so far has been pretty good..

Thanks.

P.S Haha, i said above that my last question was about delivery times. Guess i lied:p. Just wonderin if its a gud idea to buy from play-asia.com. Since i know my rig can handle the newest games i wanna pick sum up. Play-asias prices, including delivery, seem mouth-wateringly low in comparison to everywhere else i've seen...

If Dell had given you a memory configuration of 3x1gb modules then your system would not run the memory in a dual channel configuration and your memory bandwidth would be crippled... There is method to their madness ;)

Hey guys,

Ok so i finally got my xps 420 today. Took alot longer than expected but the delay was more coz o my ***k up rather than dells. In fact the girl that was helping me out was absolutely brilliant.

Newho, problem is i still havent been able to choose a monitor. I reaslised at the last second b4 i bought this viewsonic(€230) "http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?...09,49800000,14 that it doesnt support HDCP which is a must for the monitor i choose.

Has any one any suggestions on a 22" that meets all the requirements and price range i've mentiond above and in my other posts above.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated...

Advertisement