Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 hard drives installed only one showing up in my computer(vista)

Options
  • 24-12-2007 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

dont know what i done wrong

both drives worked fine in xp but after installing vista only one shows up now

device mgr says both devices working fine

any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

maybe you need to assign a drive letter to the drive thats missing in the device manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

is it showing 2 drives in the bios? have you jumpers on the drive for master & slave and both of them not master?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sparkpea wrote: »
    is it showing 2 drives in the bios? have you jumpers on the drive for master & slave and both of them not master?

Im going to assume he has not made hardware changes since he said they were both working fine in XP. Im going to assume all he has done is install vista. He has said both drives show up in device manager so that should let you know that the jumpers are not an issue :D

Is this right etcetc? Did you just upgrade from XP to vista or are we talking a complete wipe and reinstall? What do you see in the disk management snap in? You know.. right click computer click manage. This is where you will set a drive letter if it has not been assigned.
    Its possible you wiped the partition during install so you need to create a new partition but until you tell us what you see in there then there is nothing more we can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Is the drive FAT or NTFS? I read somewhere else that vista prefers NTFS and people seem to be having the same problems you've mentioned, either with seagate/maxtor drives and external drives - some are reading dynamic and offline in disk manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

look in "disk management" in device manager .. on the bottom on the left

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

it put it down to jumper's and cable's.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

thanks for input guys

done a complete wipe and reinstall of vista

NFTS

Missing hard drive is showing up in disk mgt as disk 0 unallocated

i presume i need to assign it a drive letter

can anybody tell me how do i assign a drive letter to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

in disk management you should be able to right click where it says disk 0 and then select change drive letter and path.
    i assume you installed vista on drive 1 ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just right click it, assign a letter & quick format

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

thanks all:)

got it sorted

both drives show up now

• Advertisement
Advertisement