Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanted: Deer Shooting Rights

• 23-12-2007 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

I am looking for deer shooting permission/s. Any where, any type will be acceptable. I have the appropiate rifle and insurance. PM me if interested.

I am a very safe and capable rifle shooter. Member of Midlands Rifle Range for last 4 years. Attend regularly. NARGC & Countryside Alliance Insurance. I have a 6.5x55.

I will be applying for Duchas permit. I live in Tipp. but am willing to travel.

I am a serving member of RDF since 1996 (CPL)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

just get in the car and call to farmers next to large forestry, you'll find it very easy to get permission from them if they have deer on thier land, no need to be buying rights etc
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Yeah Bryanl is spot on did exactly the same in Donegal and got permission
    from seven farmers in one afternoon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

+1 on the other replies. I live in Wicklow and if we're anything to go by, there is an absolute glut of deer wandering around the roads at night. I've had many scares in the last few months with Bambis wandering out in front of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

bunny shooter

Go with the advise above. I just started stalking this year and getting acess around home was not a problem. Once the guys realise you are not a complete muppet it should be ok.

One point of interest is that many dairy farmers can be picky who they let in. What can happen if the deer are not shoot properly the can take off and do a lot of damage to fencing etc. just something to bear in mind. Respect there wishes dont shoot near cattle/sheep or houses - all common sense really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wcheesman

hi bunny shooter, put Add in S/Times, as you can see, there are alot of Cowboys out there !!
    what you looking for red /roe, i do know of someone looking for syndicate member in SW SCOTLAND

• Advertisement

wcheesman wrote: »
    hi bunny shooter, put Add in S/Times, as you can see, there are alot of Cowboys out there !!
    what you looking for red /roe, i do know of someone looking for syndicate member in SW SCOTLAND

Define "cowboys":confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wcheesman

Define "cowboys":confused:

gangsters and poachers ! :eek:

is this in reference to the advice given above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

wcheesman wrote: »

Thinking more of Ireland (Republic) Cheers though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

HAY BUNNY
    The lads are right just ask a few farmers and they'll not be long about saying shoot'em stoot'em all.
    if your in tipp then you need not look any further than Limerick. Try those things called the Galities, they are full of fallow..
    But dot succumb to Deer letting, if you do you are helping the cause of hunting into becoming a business... Just keep looking till you get it for free:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

+1 for Ivan.

Deer are a serious pest for a good few farmers. Granting you shooting in return for proper population control should be a mutual favour. Not everyone can be as greedy or smart as Coillte playing stalkers of against eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

The unfortunate thing is that many farmers are just coming to realise the potential value of sporting rights on their land. I spoke with a farmer lately in a good part of Wicklow who advertised the sporting rights on his land, he never thought much about it before. He was overwhelmed with the response. He is now letting for a few thousand per anum!!!!!!:eek:

I have my few regular spots, mainly friends & relatives land however am coming to the conclusion there is no worthwhile stalking freely available in Wicklow unless you are willing to spend :mad:

On the point of deer taking down fences, a properly taken shot could result in the animal causing damage. I took a sika pricket this year with a quartering shot to the chest. Three animals stood before the shot approx 60 yards from me and three ran away at speed leaving me thinking the placement was not as good as I thought. Only after 100 yards the animal slowed and gradually his head lowered before he dropped dead at nearly 200 yards. 95 grain .243 entered at front of left shoulder, through heart & lungs lodging in skin halfway back right flank, perfectly mushroomed. Sometimes they may drop on the spot without hardly a twitch but they are very tough animals. I was lucky it was open ground with no problem with damage or finding.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

A properly taken shot at 60 yards is head or neck!!
    tru the heart at 60yards and making 140yrd run
    95 grain blackwidow???

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

kakashka wrote: »
    A properly taken shot at 60 yards is head or neck!!
    tru the heart at 60yards and making 140yrd run
    95 grain blackwidow???

Not in this circumstance, the backstop was clearly adequate for a chest shot and not so certain for a neck shot being much higher. One thing for sure with a well taken chest shot at any sensible range is that the animal will be dead before the onset of serious pain. If by anybody elses book a feasable chest shot in a given situation is not proper because of a pound or two of lost meat or a lower price from the game dealer, I can live with that.

Personally, I would never take a head shot no matter how calm the animal appears. How would you be sure the animal is not going to take a sideways glance or a sniff at the breeze at the vital moment? One of the smallest and best protected vitals on the most animated part of a deer's body doesn't give me the confidence to risk the animal's welfare just because the accuracy required is well within my capability if all goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

J. Ramone wrote: »
    Not in this circumstance, the backstop was clearly adequate for a chest shot and not so certain for a neck shot being much higher. One thing for sure with a well taken chest shot at any sensible range is that the animal will be dead before the onset of serious pain. If by anybody elses book a feasable chest shot in a given situation is not proper because of a pound or two of lost meat or a lower price from the game dealer, I can live with that.

Personally, I would never take a head shot no matter how calm the animal appears. How would you be sure the animal is not going to take a sideways glance or a sniff at the breeze at the vital moment? One of the smallest and best protected vitals on the most animated part of a deer's body doesn't give me the confidence to risk the animal's welfare just because the accuracy required is well within my capability if all goes well.

Now you talk a considerable degree of sense, sir.

Advertisement