Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genital Warts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

MIN2511 wrote: »
    we all(80%) of us have genital warts

I don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    I don't

+1

Neither do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mine are all itchy and puss filled.

I mean +1 on the genital warts free from me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Mairt wrote: »
    +1

Neither do I.

neither do I

Neither do 80% of the population.

It's about 80 cases per 100,000 of the population

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

tallaght01 wrote: »
    neither do I

Neither do 80% of the population.

It's about 80 cases per 100,000 of the population

"we all(80%) of us have genital warts."

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

This is not a sexual health topic so mods please don't move this

Never knew much about this until Thursday and since then my curiosity has been piqued, we all(80%) of us have genital warts.

1. http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/sexinfections/sti/215.html
    2. http://www.ndsc.ie/hpsc/A-Z/HepatitisHIVAIDSandSTIs/SexuallyTransmittedInfections/Ano-GenitalWarts/Factsheet/

Knowing this, would you consider before changing partners, using protection (a lot of people still don't use protection)
    Or where you ever aware of this previously?

You are a genital wart.

Are ye happy now!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,078 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

somebody on the pi forum said once upon a time, if you've had sex you propably have them, so the op's numbers are probably more realistic :(

on the bright side you can you this classy chat up line "I'd love to infect you with my rampant genital warts ..."

+1 don't have 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

probably means you have the virus but not necessarily the warts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

-1 from me also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:eek:

Plopped out the cluster and checked the knob/shaft/seam/the eye/the banjo string/the root.
    Then checked the ballsack.Other than a bit of stale knob cheese-nothing!!

Stop trying to spook people!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Never knew much about this until Thursday and since then my curiosity has been piqued, we all(80%) of us have genital warts.

Where are you getting the idea that 80% of the population have GW (on their bush :D)?

Where are you getting the idea that 80% = all?

Did you miss/skip the day they did percentages in primary?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,078 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

maybe there should be a poll to find the real percentage (assuming the infected come forward)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

80% of sexually active adults have a strain of Human papillomavirus.
    Some strains manifest in large genital warts, some in mircoscopic genital warts and some in some people have no sympthoms.

Some strains of Human papillomavirus can cause cancer of the cervix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Slow coach wrote: »
    Where are you getting the idea that 80% of the population have GW (on their bush :D)?

Where are you getting the idea that 80% = all?

Did you miss/skip the day they did percentages in primary?

I like to do my math before i post things(not all the time btw) so here ya go
    http://www.ndsc.ie/hpsc/A-Z/HepatitisHIVAIDSandSTIs/SexuallyTransmittedInfections/Ano-GenitalWarts/Factsheet/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Thaedydal wrote: »
    80% of sexually active adults have a strain of Human papillomavirus.
    Some strains manifest in large genital warts, some in mircoscopic genital warts and some in some people have no sympthoms.

Some strains of Human papillomavirus can cause cancer of the cervix.

yay i was right, in a very simplified manner. go me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

http://www.ndsc.ie/hpsc/A-Z/HepatitisHIVAIDSandSTIs/SexuallyTransmittedInfections/Ano-GenitalWarts/Factsheet/

Rather than posting links, can you show us how you calculated 80%?

I saw the link in the first post. Where is the 80% figure coming from? Maybe you could copy part of the text in and highlight it [80%] for an old geezer?

How common are ano-genital warts in Ireland?
    • Ano-genital warts, the clinically visible manifestation of infection with human papilloma virus (HPV), was the most commonly notified STI in Ireland in 2005, with 3,456 cases notified. This corresponds to a rate of 88.2 cases per 100,000 population.
    • This does not reflect the incidence of HPV. Ano-genital warts represents a very small percentage of sexually-transmitted human papillomavirus infections as infections with most types of HPV do not usually cause warts.
    • In Ireland, ano-genital warts are most common in younger age groups: 20-29 year olds represented 65.5% of all cases in 2005.
    • Of the notifications received in 2005, 54.9% were males and 44.8% were females. Gender was unknown for 0.3% of cases.
    • In 2005, rates were highest in the HSE-W (162.2 cases per 100,000 population), HSE-S (111 per 100,000 population) and HSE-ER (101.8 per 100,000 population). However, many people travel from their area of residence to STI clinics outside that area so this does not necessarily reflect cases in those HSE regions.
    And TheBigLebowski 80% means 8 out of 10 sexually active people.... i guess a little math wont kill you. Start-Programs-Accessories-Calculator
    happy now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ano-genital warts, the clinically visible manifestation of infection with human papilloma virus (HPV), was the most commonly notified STI in Ireland in 2005, with 3,456 cases notified. This corresponds to a rate of 88.2 cases per 100,000 population.
    This does not reflect the incidence of HPV. Ano-genital warts represents a very small percentage of sexually-transmitted human papillomavirus infections as infections with most types of HPV do not usually cause warts.
    Tallaght_01 is correct, though Thaed also has a valid point, whether her % is accurate or not.

• Ano-genital warts, the clinically visible manifestation of infection with human papilloma virus (HPV), was the most commonly notified STI in Ireland in 2005, with 3,456 cases notified. This corresponds to a rate of 88.2 cases per 100,000 population.
    • This does not reflect the incidence of HPV. Ano-genital warts represents a very small percentage of sexually-transmitted human papillomavirus infections as infections with most types of HPV do not usually cause warts.
    • In Ireland, ano-genital warts are most common in younger age groups: 20-29 year olds represented 65.5% of all cases in 2005.
    • Of the notifications received in 2005, 54.9% were males and 44.8% were females. Gender was unknown for 0.3% of cases.
    • In 2005, rates were highest in the HSE-W (162.2 cases per 100,000 population), HSE-S (111 per 100,000 population) and HSE-ER (101.8 per 100,000 population). However, many people travel from their area of residence to STI clinics outside that area so this does not necessarily reflect cases in those HSE regions.
    And TheBigLebowski 80% means 8 out of 10 sexually active people.... i guess a little math wont kill you. Start-Programs-Accessories-Calculator
    happy now?

What the fvck?Where does it say 8 out of 10.
    SHOW ME will ya for the last bleedin' time? I guess opening your ears and listening to me won't kill you*.

*Actually it might

• Advertisement

happy now?
    hahaha.. classic. You're trying to be smart and failing miserably.

Sorry to be a pissy pedant (it's the mathematician in me), but where (exactly) are the figures 8 out of 10 OR 80% referred to in that?

This is the only relevant figure I can see:

Ano-genital warts, the clinically visible manifestation of infection with human papilloma virus (HPV), was the most commonly notified STI in Ireland in 2005, with 3,456 cases notified.

And this is the rate:

88.2 cases per 100,000 population.

The latter figure is equal to 0.088%.

OK, OP can't resist any longer...
    Start-Programs-Accessories-Calculator
    happy now?

Ha Ha

Lol. I love it when stuff like this happens :)

ah back off would ya... like it's either you have it or you dont or are aware of it...
    and if you didn't know, now you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ah back off would ya... like it's either you have it or you dont or are aware of it...
    I'm still trying to figure out where the 80% figure came from...:confused:

I either have it or i don't eh?

Well thanks for that nugget of information. I would never have known.

Are you going to admit you were wrong instead of getting aggressive? Just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

HPV causes genital warts

But not everyone with HPV gets warts. Most don't. You usually get rid of it on your own.

A high percentage of people who are sexually active will have the virus on their genitals at some stage in their life, for a variable amount of time. Like i said, most of them won't have warts. But while the virus is there, you can catch warts from them.

Nobody knows how many people have HPV at any given time.
    I think it's about 15% in low prevalence areas. I think the OP is referring to the fact that in some countries 80% of sexually active women will have had the virus (not the warts) at some point in their lives.But it is simply not true to say "80% of sexually active adult have a strain of HPV".

I remember it being much higher in Africa.

The link supplied by the op confirms the prevalence of actual warts to be about 80 in 100,000

• Advertisement

You seem to know a lot about health & medicine Tallaght01, so in your opinion, would a little math kill the OP? :p

Advertisement