Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laminate flooring - does a door jam saw exist?

Options
  • 22-12-2007 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi there, hope this is not too off topic?
    I am about to put down laminate flooring - standard stuff.
    I am told you can buy a special saw that will cut away the bottom of the door jam so as to slide the laminate underneath (leaving a gap of course!!).
    Anyone know if such a special tool exists and where I would get one in Dublin?
    I would probably get by with a 'manual' tool but am intertested to know if there are electric versions? Tried Google without luck.
    Any suggestions welcome please.
    Ger.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

John Phelan Light Machinery, in North Co. Dublin.

www.jplm.ie

I used to work there and we got the odd one in when a customer wanted one. Can't remember brand or price but they do exist! Sort of look like a biscuit jointer a bit if I remember correctly. Very clever little tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭gerdalt

Thanks John, I have seen the new Bosch power tool. Expensive!
    However the main problem seems to be terminology.
    I have found a site http://www.axminster.co.uk which carries the tool I need.
    They call it a flush cut saw. There are several for sale.
    Americans seem to call it an under cut saw.
    I call it a door jam saw!! (or is it jamb?)
    Either way thank you for the response.
    Ger.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭D-OLEARY

iv heard a biscuit jointer dos the job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If you already have an angle grinder, there used to be a particular blade available for these which would do the job too apparently (same as the biscuit jointer idea) - basically a wood cutting blade I think. You put a plank of wood on the floor (sized to allow you to cut at the desired height) and use it as a guide to run the angle grinder along it.

Of course, another alternative is to take the door off its hinges and cut it with a circular saw. I did that with my doors, and it is great as you can choose exactly how much you want to cut off and the cut is clean and square (if you use a straight edge as a guide for the saw).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Just found a link to the blade that I was referring to, the Arbortech woodcarver:

http://www.arbortech.com.au/view/woodworking-information/pro-4_woodcarver_20070412135206

I've never used one though, so don't know what the quality of cut is like. Might be tricky doing a neat (and safe!) job on the base of a hung door, but might be an option worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

just to throw this one out to you.i have fitted many a solid timber/laminate floor in my day and would suggest that you use a regular hand saw.just have a piece of the floor your fitting at hand turn it upside down so the finished surface is facing down hold it against the door frame your cutting and run the hand saw along the top of it to get the height of the cut you need on the door frame.
    take your time with it and you should get a perfect cut without the expense of buying some tool you will hardly get the use of again.
    hope this is of some help to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

hi gerdalt
    Check out the professional FEIN MULTIMASTER good American tool made in Germany you can buy them in the UK and Ireland does exactly what it says multifunctional not cheap www.fein.com
    Regards jbcford

Advertisement