Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facts about Derry

• 21-12-2007 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭

I thought I'd post a few facts about my home City some people from outside the area might not know.

Derry is nowhere near as congested as Coleraine or Letterkenny. Traffic generally flows well until the booze lorry arrives at Cafe Roc etc

Q102.9 has to be the most dreadful radio station known to humankind. Avoid it by going nowhere near it. Stay tuned to the national stations or BBC Radio Foyle

We can avail of cheapo petrol by quickly crossing over "to the other side". Cheap fuel knows no religious barriers, even if it is in a "foreign" country...:D

Derry taxi drivers, while they may appear arrogant and pushy on the road, generally are good drivers I find.

The Eastern European folk in the city are harmless wheareas those Spanish that arrive each summer are gulpins.

The Christmas lights used to be better when I was younger, especially the line of them along each side of the Craigavon bridge. (I'm 28 now)

McLaughlins on William Street sells just about everything, from salt cellars to Holy Candles to Mouse Traps.

Too many people in Derry claim to be disabled and get themselves a car as a result.

Anybody care to add anything else about Derry?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

All girls of a certain age have the same haircut....you know what I'm talking about....that two-tone mullet thing where they tie the long wispy bits into a pony tail and then backcomb the top layers so they all stick up and look identical.

The pavements are disgustingly dirty with chewing gum, something the council apparently don't feel the need to address.

Parking is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

It's quite normal to see a group of 16 year old girls pushing prams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

It is quite normal to get some sort of STD in Derry!! Not personal experience, but my flat mate at the time and he got it twice! Some skanky girls up there! I loved it though, lived there for 3 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Its possible when you come to Derry and don't take precautions!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 McDaid--1916

When you go to Derry, make sure and visit gods contry lol..(Top of the hill) haha

• Advertisement

The tour buses used to go up there for the scenic views of the city.

I bet whoever though it was a good idea to cram a load of Catholics into there in the 70s is kicking themselves now as it has some of the most panoramic views of Derry and Donegal and houses could be flogged for a fortune.

RadioCity wrote: »
    The tour buses used to go up there for the scenic views of the city.

I bet whoever though it was a good idea to cram a load of Catholics into there in the 70s is kicking themselves now as it has some of the most panoramic views of Derry and Donegal and houses could be flogged for a fortune.

Indeed. The view of Derry is cracker like.
    Haha i bet the is raging they cramed catholics into it.
    T.O.T.H is also the largest republican estate in Derrys Waterside.

T.O.T.H is also the largest republican estate in Derrys Waterside

An honour, certainly.

To be fair though, the competition isn't really all that intense. Tullyally and Nelson Drive were the third and fourth most Republican estates respectively...:D

RadioCity wrote: »
    An honour, certainly.

To be fair though, the competition isn't really all that intense. Tullyally and Nelson Drive were the third and fourth most Republican estates respectively...:D

Well theres curryneirin as well lol...
    T.O.T.H, i think would be more republican than parts of the derryside(Culmore, ballyarnett, The Fountain...obviously) lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Used to go with a girl from t.o.t.h. , was an experience, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

derry? you cant mention a subject from tyeing shoelaces to deep space
    exploration that every derryman or should i say "pastryman " isnt an expert in..derrymen are know alls know F##k alls, on the otherhand they
    have the best lookin lassies in ireland.icon10.gificon10.gificon10.gificon12.gificon10.gificon12.gif

derrymen are know alls know F##k alls

bit like urself?

Berns wrote: »
    Used to go with a girl from t.o.t.h. , was an experience, lol.

i would say it would be lol...Can i ask her name?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 *StoneCold*

Well theres curryneirin as well lol...
    T.O.T.H, i think would be more republican than parts of the derryside(Culmore, ballyarnett, The Fountain...obviously) lol

Creggan is the biggest republican estate in the whole city i would say...

True buit only because of the sheer size of it and the fact that the back is trees and fields for miles and the front is the bog and brandywell lol...TOTH is the forefront, interface area gettin the full effects of sectarian violence.

Advertisement