Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomtom 720 / teleatlas maps and tomtom "Support"

Options
  • 21-12-2007 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I recently purchased a Tomtom Go720. I like the system, but the maps are totally useless outside urban areas. No townlands and most roads are "unnamed road" which is useless if you are trying to find a rural area.

I sent tomtom "support" a copy of the google map (also teleatlas supplied) for my area (Kanturk / Newmarket) and listed all the places which appear there and don't appear on my Go720, and it's about 80%, and all those are on the old navteq maps on my friends Tomtom One. All I get from tomtom is "You will find that our coverage of Ireland is 99% accurate. Please note that the sheer volume of map data means that 1% of map data can seem a lot." but for me 80% townlands missing and seemingly every road other than the main roads showing as "unnamed road" isn't anywhere near 99% coverage. Their attitude seems to be "we've got your money - TOUGH". They also said "You are the only person to complain about our coverage in Ireland. There were problems with older maps but 7.10 are fine". Now I seem to remember that other people here mentioned similar problems. Did anyone contact support and what sort of service did you get?

I'm currently in the midst of a running email war with them and I am not giving up, I will pester them until I get some sort of satisfaction. They now tell me they have "escalated this matter to our second line support" whatever that means. Any info or advice on Tomtom "support" would be welcome.

Mossie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Ok Mossie, you and I have been posting on a couple of other topics. I'm just waiting on a 720 to be delivered from DABS.ie and I'm already a tad apprehensive about the tomtom map coverage in my home area (Greystones/Delgany) which I've related to you. Over the crimbo I will be travelling close to your neck of the woods - Dromina /Newtownshandrum, so I will be looking carefully at the coverage I get from TomTom(Teleatlas) and from the Navteq unit from good ol' Lidl. There will be no mercy and I too will be bombing tomtom with emails if the map coverage is not up to scratch;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

fat-tony wrote: »
    Ok Mossie, you and I have been posting on a couple of other topics. I'm just waiting on a 720 to be delivered from DABS.ie and I'm already a tad apprehensive about the tomtom map coverage in my home area (Greystones/Delgany) which I've related to you. Over the crimbo I will be travelling close to your neck of the woods - Dromina /Newtownshandrum, so I will be looking carefully at the coverage I get from TomTom(Teleatlas) and from the Navteq unit from good ol' Lidl. There will be no mercy and I too will be bombing tomtom with emails if the map coverage is not up to scratch;)

Excellent. If my experience is anything to go by you will see the same issues. Maybe they would take more notice if several people complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

So the moral of the story is ..............

Gotta, gotta, gotta get a garmin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Evil_Clown wrote: »

Or get the Lidl special for 269 euro, which has excellent Navteq maps for all of Europe, has Bluetooth and an FM transmitter for playing MP3s and voice guidance through your car stereo:)

I had bought this for the wife, but I think I might keep this for myself ;)

fat-tony wrote: »
    I had bought this for the wife, but I think I might keep this for myself ;)

You wouldn't lave her to dea; with the Tomtom surely:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mossie wrote: »
    Excellent. If my experience is anything to go by you will see the same issues. Maybe they would take more notice if several people complained.

Sorry, I just get this urge to laugh insanely, whenever I see somebody expecting to get a definitive answer from TomTom. You can send as many complaining emails as you like, but it's like trying to extract information from a brick. They're too arrogant to admit to imperfection - they're the golden boys! They're making so much money from people, they don't give a toss if anyone in Ireland can't find their way home. They might take some notice if a couple of hundred drivers did a Father Larry Duff of a cliff due to dodgy data, but they would then say it was someone else's fault.

Been there, done that, wiped my ar*e on the T-shirt:(

Sorry for the rant but I promise to restrain myself in future, or try anyway:D

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They're too arrogant to admit to imperfection - they're the golden boys! They're making so much money from people, they don't give a toss if anyone in Ireland can't find their way home.

That is pretty much the impression I've got so far. The only answer they will give is "we are 99% accurate" even when I can show them irrefutably that within a 50km sq area they haven't even 20% placename coverage. It seems to be a case of you paid your money and we don't care what you think.

I got an email today asking me to take part in a survey to rate their support, but I don't suppose me giving them a "completely dissatisfied" and "will certainly not recommend to my friends" will bother them too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mossie wrote: »
    That is pretty much the impression I've got so far. The only answer they will give is "we are 99% accurate" even when I can show them irrefutably that within a 50km sq area they haven't even 20% placename coverage. It seems to be a case of you paid your money and we don't care what you think.

I got an email today asking me to take part in a survey to rate their support, but I don't suppose me giving them a "completely dissatisfied" and "will certainly not recommend to my friends" will bother them too much.

I completed several of those, each time pointing out that I would rather stick red-hot needles in my eyes than recommend TomTom to anyone. Excuse the pun that didn't make a blind bit of difference either.:(

Just to update, I had an email from TT support stating they are considering giving me a free update when the next maps come out. Won't hold my breath though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Evil_Clown wrote: »

+1.

I had a TomTom 910 i sent 15-20 e-mail to them and i got the same story we have 99% coverage. It was more like 60% coverage. So i sold it and got a garmin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Tomtom support seems pretty good, was at them today via email for ages, and they were very helpful!

Also, I think they may be giving map updates for free now via their latest map garantee via their software.

Tomtom support seems pretty good, was at them today via email for ages, and they were very helpful!

Also, I think they may be giving map updates for free now via their latest map garantee via their software.

Only for 30 days after you first connect the unit to your PC. I got the update to 7.10 on the first day I had the unit but little different.

yeah, 30 days... but hey the 7.10 map did show a new road for my area :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

yeah, 30 days... but hey the 7.10 map did show a new road for my area :D

but how many are still missing?

lol, we're not having a debate.

A gps is an aid after all, you'd have to be pretty :confused: to drive off a cliff or something similar using one.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Does anyone know when the latest maps were released? I have version 710.1561 on the Tom Tom i got for christmas, I forgot to use the latest map guarantee and now its too late :(

for tomtom?

7.15 has been out for a few days (Adds about 50k worth of road to Eire and UK) :rolleyes:

"In the UK and Ireland, about 48,688 kilometres of roads have been added and the map now also contains (limited) information for Jersey and Guernsey. Also the Spanish/Portuguese and Polish maps now have better coverage. Here respectively 24,128 and 119,675 kilometres of roads were added since the last edition."

Had my Tomtom One replaced recently as it was acting p:mad:ssessed, so all packaged and new, and going to wait and try to find out when the next map is coming out so I can take advantage of the map upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hopefully i'm not taking the thread off topic but Tom Tom maps are currently confusing me to no end.

I am using tomtom's navigator 6 with map versions of 'United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland' v660.1219 - I only have it a few days and geezz it's poor. For example, my estate which has been in existance for about 10 years isn't on it. A ring road around the town constructed about 5 years ago isn't on it. Roads linking old N4 to the M4 don't appear on it. Holy cow! I've emailed them to see if i'm dreaming or is this just plain bad product. I used a little Garmin (Nuvi 250w) at Christmas time and all the roads referred to above were on it - even a little roundabout linking to a housing estate in my town constructed in the last 6-8 months were on the garmin.

Navigator Home just says that i have no updates available. People mention v7.15 maps - i presume this release doesn't relate in anyway to my version 660.1219.

Any ideas?

Advertisement