Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oh no!! pop, fizzle, ka-put

Options
  • 21-12-2007 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

my trusty old 28" crt has just gone ka-put
    with only a few days elft to christmas and no other tv in the house things are not looking good :(

i dont think i will be bothered getting it repaired as it was on its last legs and the person that gave it to me hadnt been kind to it, (dodgy power button, magnet streaks everyhwere)

so, that means its new tv time (im secretly happy but dont tell the missus;))
    tbh i havent been too pushed about getting a flat screen, but dont see the point getting another crt at this stage of the game.
    i reckon we have about 1000-1400 in the rainy day account but dont want to spend that much if at all possible.

the tv is used for ps2 and wii, both over composite, but will upgrade to component where possible if there will be benfits (probably not for the ps2)

the other thing its used for is mce (htpc) so i can very easily change that to a dvi connection and have lovely hd content readily available.
    the tv connection is ntl analog (no intention of upgrading or switching to sky) but that comes through mce so im looking into getting mce to upscale that to a decent resolution.

size-wise i think 32" is more than enough, wont be using the speakers on the tv so they can be crap as you like or detachable would be even better.

my main concern is that it will work well with the pc at native resolutions and produce a good picture.

assuming my budget is 750eu and can stretch if needed, what would you recommend.

the caveat being that as i cannot under any circumstances be tv- less for christmas i will have to go bricks and mortar tomorrow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

interesting turn of events and the tv has just agreed to power back on.
    all seems well but i dont hold out much hope for the future.

i think its time for an upgrade so if theres a recommendation i'd love to hear it.
    will be buying online if this tv will stay on.
    ive been reading through some of the posts so will tr to come back with a short list

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Go for a Panasonic with the 5 year warranty (if that offer is still running - TV must be bought in local Panny dealer to avail of 5yr warranty). Panny's are generally good anyway.

Advertisement