Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uilleann Pipes or Traditional Irish Flute

Options
  • 21-12-2007 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

On a scale of one to ten how would you rate the difficulty level in learning these two intruments, also is there much demand for trad flute players or are they very common because I know there is always good demnd for pipers, cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

As with all instruments how easy it is to learn all depends on the individuals ability, dedication and ability to play.

I would say the Uileann pipes are much harder to learn as its a more complex instrument than the flute.

As for demand, in what regard do you mean? Professional, sessions or just randomly?

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭NFH

Sessions or just walkin into a pub and joinin in, that sort a thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Start with the tin-whistle like mostly everyone does. This will help you in the major long term as the fingering is the same for the flute and just a little different on the pipes. From the whistle you will learn how to breath properly and practice ornamentation etc etc...then move onto the flute...and eventually pipes. That's what I would do. Also, walking into a pub to just join in on a session, whistle and flute is handier. Sure all you have to do is take the whistle out of your back pocket...Flute, assemble the 2 bits and you're flying.

Just my 2c...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I agree,

There is always a demand for good flautists and tin whistles at sessions:)
    It is best to start with the tin whistle,they are cheapest and easiest to learn.
    Once you have that then all you need to get used to is the breathing and size difference with the flute.

totalmusicsupply.com have an inexpensive tony dixon flute if you want to decide to give it a go but are not sure if it is for you.

http://totalmusicsupply.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=99493

It is really baisc and not tuneable but it does the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Loxosceles

Irish tradition says it takes 7 years to learn the pipes, 7 years to practice, and 7 years to perfect. In that time you can learn to play flute, guitar, fiddle, banjo, bodhrán (expert level), tin whistle, bones, accordion and memorise the whole seán-nós repertoire of County Galway. Me, I say flute; let the piper run the session anyhow because pipers tend to be pretty Zen and transcendental about things. Pipers have spent so long perfecting their style that they have no ego left. They're the best players to play with IMO. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Ya I've heard all about that 21 year horses**t for the pipes and its absolute bull ;). It takes a couple of months to get the basic down and when you can play a few tunes you start usin the regualtors. It then takes a couple more months the get used to the regulators and then thats about it. Depending on the person its just like any other instrument that takes time to perfect. 21 years to learn how to play an instrument, man those pipers talk some s**t ;)

Advertisement