Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 player for *nix

Options
  • 21-12-2007 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a small (1gb/2gb) MP3 player preferably with an FM radio. Something like the Zen Stone but not a Creative device as I want it to work in Linux so it should just be detected as a removable disk rather than require proprietary software. Is there such a thing? It doesn't need anything fancy - it's just for 'er indoors when she's at the gym.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I managed to copy some tracks to an Aigo MP3 player on Linux before. I reformatted it as FAT32 before using it and it worked perfectly. I see a 2 GB one in Argos for €56.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Looks like the type of thing I want alright but no FM tuner.

This Phillips one does but I can't find out if software is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i got one of these a few years back.

http://www.shop4memory.com/products/mp3-player-neon-fm-radio.asp

plug it in and then drag and drop, has a fm radio and takes aaa batteries...its pretty foolproof

Scratch that - I wasn't looking hard enough. Found it on the Phillips site. "Your computer will automatically recognise the device as a removable USB mass storage device" and it doesn't even need a cable. Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

The zen stone plus from creative does not require propriertary software. you can put music on it as a removable hard drive device

• Advertisement

You sure about that? Friend of mine got one and he said it needed it. Just like all the Creative ones.

[edit]Anyway - after an email conversation I had with Creative about this on the Vision M I won't be buying them again until they support Linux. The guy mailing me was unbelievable. He first told me to install Windows. Then when I told them that I won't be buying any more Creative until they support *nix he tried to sell me some speakers! Great customer service :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 blackaardvark

What flavour are you using? I've found I can use my ipod / sony ericsson phone with ubuntu without any additional work at all. PnP pretty much.....

Using Feisty. And I know a lot will work as removable disks just wanted to be sure before I buy. My Motorola phone works too. But I won't be buying an ipod. Have the Philips one reserved in Argos. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

we got a free zen stone in a hamper and i've been playing around with it and can confirm that its UMS enabled so will work on any system.

There's optional software available from their site (creative media lite) but its not required. its basically just a small program for ripping cds and putting them on your device for mp3 noobs.

quote from aboves posters link: "The upsides of being a mass storage device are many. The Plus works equally well with Windows, Linux, or Mac OS, and does so without requiring Creative drivers".

i'm pretty sure only creatives hd-based devices are MTP/Windows only (like the ZVM) whearas their flash based devices are compatible in both modes.

As for the Stone itself, its quite nice (only the earlier screenless version we have). Wouldnt use it as a primary player but will come in handy for the gym, its about the size of a box of tic tacs

• Advertisement

Pity. I've already gone and bought the Philips one. But it's good to know that not all Creative players are MTP. Thanks for the info. The Philips one will do for herself anyway. It's nice and small too but the Stone is nicer.

Advertisement