Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 Fare increases

Options
  • 20-12-2007 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭

Please post any known fare increases in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

From www.irishrail.ie

Iarnród Éireann advises customers that new rail fares will apply from Wednesday 9th January 2008 for Intercity, DART and Commuter services.

Fares will increase by 5% on average. Full details are available from your local Iarnród Éireann station.

Sample fares are at:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=318

No doubt that Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann will follow shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Well the Luas already confirmed there increases so yeah I can imagin the buses following suit. Especially with all the news coverage of oil prices at the moment the can just say we have to put them to cover the extra costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

Very short notice, isn't it? I thought those notices usually went out just before the end of the year? Still nothing from DB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Link to article on breakingnews.ie.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mheymhkfsnkf/

mentions LUAS, Rail & Bus but doesn't go into any detail on bus with regard to being Bus Eireann or Dublin Bus or both.

The monthly tickets still seem to be the same price but maybe that's more to do with DB not updating their website.

• Advertisement

I wonder if its in the post?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0106/transport.html
    Criticism of bus & rail fare increases
    Sunday, 6 January 2008 13:31

The Government has been criticised over the latest public transport price rises.

LUAS fares are expected to go up from tomorrow by around 4% while DART and bus fares are expected to go up by 5% rise later in the week.

The Consumer Association of Ireland says the Government should be doing more to control inflation and keep the costs of goods and services down.
    Advertisement

Its Chairman, James Doorley, has said an independent regulator should also be appointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Notice there's no mention of an increase in Taxi fares since Sept 2006 wonder how many complaints when we do get one?

cgf wrote: »
    Link to article on breakingnews.ie.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mheymhkfsnkf/

mentions LUAS, Rail & Bus but doesn't go into any detail on bus with regard to being Bus Eireann or Dublin Bus or both.

The monthly tickets still seem to be the same price but maybe that's more to do with DB not updating their website.

Commuter ticket rates generally change at a later time than the regulated fares. Their prices are not controlled by government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

CIE are useless muppets, my dad's a bus driver and the first he heard of the inreases was on the radio this morning.

He reckons the only reason they've increased the fares now is that CIE employees get their 2.5% pay rise from this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

KC61 wrote: »
    Commuter ticket rates generally change at a later time than the regulated fares. Their prices are not controlled by government.
    Weekly bus passes for Cork City are going up €1 on Wednesday :( Its bad enough that a weekly pass costs more than ten journeys as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭leohoju

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The bus in Cork is going up by 10c for an adult to €1.45, and the monthly passes are going up by €2.

I wouldn't mind if you were paying for something better, but the reality is that we're probably going to be paying more for less:mad:.

GDM wrote: »
    He reckons the only reason they've increased the fares now is that CIE employees get their 2.5% pay rise from this week.
    It is usually increased this time of year.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=733
    New Fares on Dublin Bus Services

Dublin Bus wish to advise customers that with effect from Wednesday 9th January 2008, most cash fares will increase by 5 cents for children and 10 cents for adults, with the exception of the €1 adult fare which will increase to €1.05.

Adult Fares |||
    Stages 1-3 |€1.05
    Stages 4-7 |€1.50
    Stages 8-13 |€1.70
    Over 14 Stages |€2.00
    Outer Suburban 1 |€2.00
    Outer Suburban 2 |€3.30
    Outer Suburban 3 |€4.30
    |
    Schoolchild Fare (Under 16) |||
    All Stages |€0.60
    |
    Children's Fare (Under 16) |||
    Stages 1-7 |€0.75
    Over 7 Stages |€0.95
    |
    Shopper's Fare |||
    City Centre Fare | €0.70
    |

Flat Fare Routes |Adult |Child |Schoolchild
    Routes 201, 202, 236, 237, 238.. |€1.05 |€0.75 |€0.60

http://www.buseireann.ie/site/news_centre/timetable_changes.asp?action=view&news_id=611
    Bus Éireann Customer Information - Published - 8th January 2008

Bus Éireann advises customers that increased fares will apply on all services from Wednesday 9th January 2008.

An average increase of 5% will apply to all fares.

For details of revised fares, please contact your local Bus Éireann office or Travel Centre.

Athlone (090) 648 4406
    Cork (021) 450 8188
    Dublin (01) 836 6111
    Dundalk (042) 933 4075
    Galway (091) 562000
    Limerick (061) 313333
    Sligo (071) 916 0066
    Tralee (066) 716 4700
    Waterford (051) 879000

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

Limerick City Services:

Adult: €1.45
    Child: €0.95

Day Saver: €3.20 (was not displayed but the bus driver told me there was no change)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

GDM wrote: »
    CIE are useless muppets, my dad's a bus driver and the first he heard of the inreases was on the radio this morning.

And you reckon other companies are better? At least he has a job in the public sector where he won't have to be worried about layoffs.

Speaking of which, how many private companies have announced that they are closing up altogether, and the first thing the employees hear about it is on the car radio on the way in to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Not 100% sure that this is the right place to post this but....

I hadn't used the rail service this year before today, and was quite surprised, when I got to Heuston, that a monthly return ticket to Tullamore, which I had paid €23.50 for before the new year, now cost me €30.50. When the ticket seller said €30.50 I was pretty gobsmacked, but since there was a queue behind me I didn't enquire as to what the hell was going on.

Am I missing something, or is this totally unreasonable? The general 5% yearly increase appears to have been ditched in favour of (approximately) a 30% increase.

Some fares are asymmetric - the fare (including return fares) to Dublin is different to the fare from Dublin.

There is then the usual day / week / month returns and special offers. Certain fares aren't available on Friday evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

abelard wrote: »
    Not 100% sure that this is the right place to post this but....

I hadn't used the rail service this year before today, and was quite surprised, when I got to Heuston, that a monthly return ticket to Tullamore, which I had paid €23.50 for before the new year, now cost me €30.50. When the ticket seller said €30.50 I was pretty gobsmacked, but since there was a queue behind me I didn't enquire as to what the hell was going on.

Am I missing something, or is this totally unreasonable? The general 5% yearly increase appears to have been ditched in favour of (approximately) a 30% increase.

Victor is correct. There are a number of trips that have different fares based on the start point, they are all cheaper for X-Dublin and return than for Dublin-X.

Dublin-Tullamore return is €30.50 Tullamore-Dublin return is €24.80

• Advertisement

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=742
    New Prepaid Ticket Fares 2008

Following on from the recent increase in cash fares, revised Bus, Bus/Rail and Bus/Luas ticket prices will apply from Monday 25th February 2008.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=743
    New fares & zone structure on Xpresso routes
    Dublin Bus has reduced the number of fare zones on Xpresso routes.

A flat fare of
    Adult Child
    €2.30 €1.60

will now apply to all Xpresso Routes, with the exception of the following:
    33x, 66x, 67x, 70b, 70x & 84x

Please see below for new zone and fare structures for these routes.

Zone 1 (formerly Zones 1 and 2)
    Adult single Child single
    €2.30 €1.60

Zone 2 (formerly Zones 3 and 4)
    Adult single Child single
    €3.30 €1.80
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=744
    Nitelink services

Dublin Bus wish to advise customers from Monday 25th February 2008, all nitelink services will have a flat fare of €5.00.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Nitelink services

Dublin Bus wish to advise customers from Monday 25th February 2008, all nitelink services will have a flat fare of €5.00.

First time they've touched nitelink fares in a while. I can see a lot of people expecting the drivers to accept a €5 note...

I asked them to change the text and htey posted the following.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=745
    Nitelink Service

Dublin Bus wish to advise customers from Monday 25th February 2008, all nitelink services will have a flat fare of €5.00. You can pay with cash (coin only, exact fare) on the bus or you can buy with a prepaid ticket.

Where to buy a Nitelink ticket?

Nitelink prepaid tickets can be bought from our ticket buses, which operate on a Friday and Saturday night as follows:
    Friday - Ticket buses located on College Street and D'Olier Street.
    Saturday - Ticket buses located on College Street, D'Olier Street and Westmoreland Street.

And can also be bought from the following shops:

Bus Stop, Gaiety Corner
    Centra, D'Olier Street
    Griffins, Grafton Street*
    Londis, College Green*
    Londis, Lower O' Connell Street*
    Londis, St. Stephens Green
    Londis, Westmoreland Street*
    Reynolds Newsagents, Lower Abbey Street
    Spar, Dame Street
    Spar, Grafton Street*
    Spar, Nassau Street
    The Crossing, College Green
    The Happy Shop, Burgh Quay

*Open 24hrs, Thursday - Sunday

They also added links to this one

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/latest_news.asp?action=view&news_id=742

New Prepaid Ticket Fares 2008

Following on from the recent increase in cash fares, revised Bus, Bus/Rail and Bus/Luas ticket prices will apply from Monday 25th February 2008.

The new ticket prices can be found on the following pages:
    Daily Tickets
    Weekly Tickets
    Monthly Tickets
    Annual Tickets
    All Other Tickets

Note that the €4 and €6 Nitelink fares are merged at €5.

From www.swordsexpress.com

Price Changes on Swords Express
    April 8th, 2008
    We are making some changes on our fares. The reason for the change is simple - we are not currently covering our costs on our operations. We cannot sustain the quality of the service at the price we are currently charging. We also need to speed up our boarding and that’s the reason for encouraging a move to using the 10-journey ticket and season tickets.

The new fares, for reference, from the 16th of April will be:

35 euros for a ten journey ticket (3.50 per trip). You can buy these tickets on the bus.

4 euros for a single ticket.

There are also various options for saving more money.

The yearly ticket will continue to be available for EUR 960 for the next two months. This ticket will go up in price, however.

The monthly ticket will continue to be available for EUR 96 per month for the next two months, and then will go up in price.

We have not decided what the increase will be as yet. We recommend you take advantage of the opportunity to buy a monthly ticket.

We do not take increasing the price lightly. We have taken a long time to make a decision on the increase, but it has become inevitable as peak time traffic continued to grow, while off-peak remained low. For a service like ours, it is the peak time service that drives all our costs - we need a large number of vehicles and drivers to provide a full service at peak times. Cutting back peak services would not really improve our figures. Because we are an express service, we can only fill each space once, because all the passengers are effectively on board for the full journey. We also want to continue to provide as high a level of comfort as possible on our services.

Non-express services, including express services that drop off mid-way, can often fill some seats twice during the peak times. Dublin Bus express services have increased their prices by 15 percent over the last four months, apparently because of similar issues.

At the same time, we are dealing with increases in costs. Diesel has gone up in price, and the cost will certainly hit us in the coming months. At the same time, the Department of Transport is planning to increase the net price we pay for fuel because of a direction from the EU, and this change could come into effect at any time.

One thing we are considering is a less expensive off-peak and weekend ticket. We’d be interested in getting your feedback on whether that would bring an increase in patronage (say from 9.30 until 3.30, and from 7pm onwards).

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Irish rail have incresed prices on the Sligo-Dublin line (from July 2) and Dublin-Belfast (from Aug 27).

Advertisement