Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVI to HDMI cable?

Options
  • 19-12-2007 10:59pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,i just bought myself an xbox 360 and have it hooked up to a 32" panasonic Viera.
    I have it on the same desk as my pc and would love to hook my gaming pc up to it also.
    I think i need a DVI to HDMi cable or is it HDMI to DVI?
    Would this one on komplett do the trick?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=322179

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yep.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bit pricey. It's a digital signal, so a cheap cable shouldn't affect it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but back it up with some reasoning. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Khannie wrote: »
    Bit pricey. It's a digital signal, so a cheap cable shouldn't affect it.
    Yeah that's my understanding too. Either you get whole signal intact or nothing.

Anyway this site is really good for cheap cables. He's based in the states but shipping is free and really fast. Any time I need a video cable I get it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Khannie wrote: »
    Bit pricey. It's a digital signal, so a cheap cable shouldn't affect it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but back it up with some reasoning. :)

You're correct. At worst a cheap cable might have shoddy build quality, so solder might come loose and lead to an intermittent signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

All the above is absolutely correct , with digital , everything stays exactly the same until the signal gets so bad it cant distinguish the bits , ( 1's and 0's ) any more , so any cable will do as long its mechanically sound.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you aren't in a rush you could save yourself a packet by ordering this and this from dealextreme.. $13.51 [SIZE=-1]≈ € 9.40[/SIZE]

I have these and work grand. Shipping takes about 3weeks to a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Looking to do the same with my laptop that i currently connect via VGA to my lcd tv but am thinking of connecting my 360 to the VGA port instead.
    Will the HDMI interface on the tv support the same resolutions as the VGA?

VGA is analoge, HDMI/DVI is digital. HDMI can support higher resolutions than VGA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think it'll be more worthwhile to buy a normal HDMI->HDMI cable and a DVI-D->HDMI adaptor (latter being €8 on Komplett). The HDMI cable will be a lot more useful for other purposes (new and future consoles, HD video players/decoders, a lot of laptops have HDMI too these days, etc.).

Is your TV full 1080? Unfortunately it seems HDMI inputs on TVs generally only accept the standard HD resolutions, i.e. 720p (and lower, though that might vary) and 1080i/p. My 32" Toshiba is 1366x768, but over HDMI it won't let me do that, so I'm stuck with crappy resizing from 720p, 1080p, or 1024x768 (which looks flikery) and lower. The TV could be good for HD movies (haven't tried yet), and my friend's PS3 looked pretty decent on it, but it sucked for PC games and desktop stuff :(

VGA input might be better - haven't tried yet (need a cable).

Advertisement