Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who invented meh?

Options
  • 19-12-2007 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Who invented meh, as an expression of indifference? Is it a boards thing? This place is rife with mehs

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

probably the same person that invented lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ahh meh cacks are falling ooof

MEHH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Only urban dictionary will know the answer to this (or a quick Wiki search). I haven't teh time or inclination to find the history behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

So homer invented it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Meh, whoever it was is a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

It's actually going back to the XIV century, first written in a fFrench heroic tale "Les Pous Megout" as "la mehe", which loosely translated means "i know what you're saying, but i'm not that impressed". It made it's way to the several languages (pol. mehski, chin.mi hao, hun.mehege, ger.mehsen, spa.mehito), it was widely used up until XIX century, then disappeared for a while and made it glorious comeback with the birth of Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

JæKæ wrote: »
    So homer invented it.

No not homer, but it could have been bart and lisa Simpson, that's the first time I heard it anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The same guy that invented pwnd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Who invented meh, as an expression of indifference? Is it a boards thing? This place is rife with mehs

a guy in my secondary school used to say it, around 7 years ago i guess. that's when i first heard it.

actually yeah it probably was the Simpsons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Aliens from planet Meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭andyl222

do you really believe it was invented here on boards.ie? is that the actual question you're asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Who invented meh?
    Yore creator.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Gordon wrote: »
    Yore creator.

when she got a peek at gordons equipment..:D

Alfred Meh invented it but he was not the one that came up with pwned. That was Franz Pwned. His ancestors have no idea where the slang has come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

i dunno but i been saying it for years well before i knew what boards was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

seeing as it's going this way, did the Simpsons create 'yoink!'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

Chuck Norris

• Advertisement

andyl222 wrote: »
    do you really believe it was invented here on boards.ie? is that the actual question you're asking?

Yep-that was the question. This is the only place I saw it used. But I probably don't spend as much time in internet forums as you. I try to get out now and again

One night when mammy and daddy were very playfull after a few drinks, yore dads runaway train finds its way going into yore mammys dark tunnel. (The other tunnel doesnt work best as alot of stuff comes out the other way there)

A certain lot of months later while yore mammy is letting nature call get the better of you, a little JæKæ falls into the bowl.
    Its daddys job then to scoup you out and hey presto! Here we are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Yore Mehhhhh!!!

Spankeh wrote: »
    One night when mammy and daddy were very playfull after a few drinks, yore dads runaway train finds its way going into yore mammys dark tunnel. (The other tunnel doesnt work best as alot of stuff comes out the other way there)

A certain lot of months later while yore mammy is letting nature call get the better of you, a little JæKæ falls into the bowl.

Don't know what provoked that reaction from ya spankeh.
    Maybe it was when I offended someone for spending too much time on internet forums. Did it offend you too?

Yeah it made baby Jesus cry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

lol, wut?

Yeah it made baby Jesus cry :)

Your command of internet slang is commendable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭andyl222

Yep-that was the question. This is the only place I saw it used. But I probably don't spend as much time in internet forums as you. I try to get out now and again

yes, that makes sense considering you have nearly 3 times the amount of posts as I do. The reason I reiterated your question was the sheer absurdity of believing that an onomatapaoeic term like 'meh' was invented in an internet forum. It's clearly just a written manifestation of an indifferent grunt 'meh' , that was most definitely not invented here on boards.ie, regardless of it's longstanding history of word invention. I'm off to waste the rest of my life on other message boards.... meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

The same guy that invented pwnd.

It was infact that guy's ma.

Guy: Lol ma, I just pwnd this kid on teh intranets.
    Ma: Meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It was Al Gore.

Advertisement