Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i restore my factory settings on pc

Options
  • 19-12-2007 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

hi i have a philips icon i need to restore factory settings im selling it..and want to completely wipe it .... any tips???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Do you have the disks that came with it?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you do have the disks the computer came with, one of them should be the disc that you use to reinstall the operating system. Typically called system restore, recovery, or operating system. Put that in the drive and restart your computer.

On restart you should see a prompt on the screen saying to press any key to boot from cd.

If you don't, you may need to change your bios settings to get the computer to boot from the cd drive before the internal hard drive.

To access your bios it is usually F2, or delete or F10. Check the first screen as your computer boots, it should tell you. You have to press it quite quickly so you may need to start your computer again.

Once in bios look for something called boot device priority and make sure that cd / dvd / optical disc is set to boot first, then your hard drive.

Let us know how you get on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kerplunk.

flakey wrote: »
    hi i have a philips icon i need to restore factory settings im selling it..and want to completely wipe it .... any tips???

If you want to take it back to its original settings you can select the earliest restore point - this wont wipe your data though, in order to be sure that your data wont be recoverable from the harddisk the best way is to replace the harddisk with a new one - however you can run apps like killdisk to wipe it completely and then reinstall the OS alternatively there are several software "shredder" apps available that claim to delete data permanantly, I believe the latest McAfee Security products contain a shredder but you should find several by doing a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

and don't forget to find and note down product key of OS before you pull the trigger. You may need to register again to validate ur product.

Advertisement