Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

microsoft access 07

Options
  • 19-12-2007 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,
    i have access 07 and i was wondering can my database be set up as a stand alone software without having to open access everytime i need to use my database.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

hey, yes.
    The database that you save produces a databaseName.mdb file. This is the actual "database". So just copy this file to where ever you want and you can use it

You will still need some sort of interface to the database file though! Another program or app

actually, i notice you sat MS 07, I have 2003, but I doubt its will be different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

Evening,
    You've not mentioned what you want to achieve, but in essence you can retrieve MS-Access data sets from any number of interfaces. You could use any number of Visual Web tools or if you have the skills you could build an interface from the ground up using a code based development platform.

I've been using MS Access for quite some time and and have found time and time again that it's no substitute for a fully fledged database engine i.e SQLServer, Informix, PostGreSQL or even MySQL.

From past experience working on third party MS-Access applications, I wouldn't use it to run mission critical business processes on. I'm sure I'll get postings refuting my comments. I will admit that it's very handy and even good if you want to collect and crunch modest volumes of data for one or two users but beyond that I believe it gets a little stretched.

Have a good New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hi,
    i have access 07 and i was wondering can my database be set up as a stand alone software without having to open access everytime i need to use my database.

thanks

How do you intend using the database? How will you access it?

Advertisement