Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired for data and audio - what next?

Options
  • 19-12-2007 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Hope I can take some of your ideas and thoughts to help me make some worthwhile decisions for an integrated audio system in my new home.

As part of the build I was offered the option of having the house wired with quality speaker cable (4 zone system) and CAT5 cable to keypads mounted to the wall next to the light switch and also CAT5 to LAN points in every room. All of this is wired back to a central point in a storage room off the hallway for the audio and to a patch panel in the same room for the LAN.

I am now at the stage where I'm in a position to decide on what equipment to purchase and have fitted. The company sub-contracted for this contacted me and sent me on a brochure with some samples of the options available. One of the manufacturers was 'Russound'.

What I want from a system:

4 zones, independent of each other, but also the option to play audio across all 4.
    What do I need - EQ? CD player? Tuner? iPod dock? PC connectivity (store all audio on this and run it like a file server?)

As this is relatively new to me I thought it best to get some feedback - so hope you can help :) I don't want to look back on this as a missed opportunity.

Cheers folks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Check out www.sonos.com - highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Thanks Steve, but I'd prefer to stay away from a wireless solution given that the house is now wired for audio and data. Might as well utilise it :)

Any pointers that I should take on board? Things to look out for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Homer

Don't think you'll go wrong with russound system. Super systems and easy to use.
    The main difference in the systems is the number of zones and the type of keypad you want?
    Do you require feedback to the keypad to show you the name of radio stations etc?
    Checkout their website www.russound.com and click on multiroom systems.
    If you are only wired for 4 zones it will probably be the CAA44 system at about 2.5k for all the kit including ceiling speakers and keypads (but no source equipment e.g. radio/cd player/etc)
    Although you could go for any system if you want a keypad with more functionality.

Let me know if you need any more info

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

industria wrote: »
    Don't think you'll go wrong with russound system. Super systems and easy to use.
    The main difference in the systems is the number of zones and the type of keypad you want?
    Do you require feedback to the keypad to show you the name of radio stations etc?
    Checkout their website www.russound.com and click on multiroom systems.
    If you are only wired for 4 zones it will probably be the CAA44 system at about 2.5k for all the kit including ceiling speakers and keypads (but no source equipment e.g. radio/cd player/etc)
    Although you could go for any system if you want a keypad with more functionality.

Let me know if you need any more info

cheers

Thanks for that - it was the CAS44 system with KPL keypads that I have short-listed. I've been given a guide price of €2500 from the installer for this type of setup.

Having spent some time reading up more about the varying systems and setups, I've now short-listed what else I want from the system:
    • CD
    • Tuner
    • Aux
    • AV switcher
    I 'think' I am limited to 4 sources on this system, if so, the 4 above would be my preference. The 4 zones will be, main living room, kitchen/dining area, master bedroom & the 2nd double bedroom.

This system includes an amp. Given the cost and that it's a 'package' I am not so sure how good the spec. is on this amp. Any pointers?

I suppose I have the same query on the speakers and their rating?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement