Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeanne Assam, What a woman!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Here's the story for all you lazy folk.
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- Jeanne Assam appeared before the news media for the first time Monday and said she "did not think for a minute to run away" when a gunman entered the New Life Church in Colorado Springs and started shooting.

There was applause as Assam spoke to reporters and TV cameras saying, "God guided me and protected me."

New Life's Senior Pastor Brady Boyd called Assam "a real hero" because Murray "had enough ammunition on him to cause a lot of damage."

When asked by a reporter if she felt like a hero, Assam said, "I wasn't just going to wait for him to do further damage."

"I give credit to God," she said.

Assam described how the gunman, Matthew Murray, entered the east entrance of the church firing his rifle.

"There was chaos," Assam said, worshipers ran away, "I will never forget the gunshots. They were so loud."

"I saw him coming through the doors" and took cover, Assam said. "I came out of cover and identified myself and engaged him and took him down."

"God was with me," Assam said. "I didn't think for a minute to run away."

Assam said she believes God gave her the strength to confront Murray, keeping her calm and focused even though he appeared to be twice her size and was more heavily armed.

Murray was carrying two handguns, an assault rifle and over 1,000 rounds of ammunition, said Sgt. Jeff Johnson of the Colorado Springs Police Department.

"It seemed like it was me, the gunman and God," she said.

Assam worked as a police officer in downtown Minneapolis during the 1990s and is licensed to carry a weapon. She attends one of the morning services and then volunteers as a guard during another service.

Boyd said Assam was the one who suggested the church beef up its security Sunday following the Arvada shooting, which it did. The pastor credited the security plan and the extra security for preventing further bloodshed.

Boyd said there are 15 to 20 security people at the church. All are volunteers but the only ones armed are those who are licensed to carry weapons.

The security guards are members of the church who are screened and not "mercenaries that we hire to walk around our campus to provide security," Boyd said.

About 7,000 people were on the church campus at the time of the shooting, said Boyd.

Two of the church members killed in the shooting were identified Monday as sisters Stephanie Works, 18, and Rachael Works, 16. Their father, David Works, 51, suffered two gunshot wounds -- one to the abdomen and one to the groin -- and was listed in fair condition on Monday. They were shot in the parking lot as they were getting into their van.

"Our concern is for our family that lost two teenage daughters. Our hearts are grieving," said Boyd. "You can imagine, as parents, losing two children while coming to church, just showing up for a worship service, not bothering anyone."

Boyd said Assam's actions saved the lives of 50 to 100 people.

Assam said she was ending three days of fasting on Sunday when fate put her in the path of the gunman.

"I was praying to God that he direct me" in what to do in life, Assam said. "God made me strong."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Meh, she was just lucky. Her faith is admirable but it wasn't a good idea to take a risk like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Would you tho? You know what I mean :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What a dope

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

suggested the church beef up its security

Security at church now? I thought I would never see the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Surely God is all the security a church needs...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

she needs psych help

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

'Two of the church members killed in the shooting were identified Monday as sisters Stephanie Works, 18, and Rachael Works, 16. Their father, David Works, 51, suffered two gunshot wounds -- one to the abdomen and one to the groin -- and was listed in fair condition on Monday. They were shot in the parking lot as they were getting into their van.'

God didn't protect them though eh.

Does she have any clue what an insulting cúnt she is being to the victims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

She is a brave idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭weemcd

Sad world we live in when people fear being shot practicing in *ANY* religion, this is a story id more associate with the middle east, but these things happen closer to home, michael stone incident to be an example. sorry state of affairs.

fair play to her the mad bitch, she could just as easily be in a hole in the ground now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

20 security guards in and around the church and the fella stilled killed 2 people.
    Also 7000 people at the church, what fecking size is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

That was pretty decent of God. I guess he was 'out to lunch' when Seung-Hui Cho went a roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

The-Rigger wrote: »
    'Two of the church members killed in the shooting were identified Monday as sisters Stephanie Works, 18, and Rachael Works, 16. Their father, David Works, 51, suffered two gunshot wounds -- one to the abdomen and one to the groin -- and was listed in fair condition on Monday. They were shot in the parking lot as they were getting into their van.'

God didn't protect them though eh.

Does she have any clue what an insulting cúnt she is being to the victims?

Ah, but you see, God works in Mysterious Ways. He must have "Had a plan" for the two young girls or maybe he was punishing them.....Maybe they were GAY!! [Gulp]

I just think we expect too much of God. He is a busy Man. He has to divide his time you see. He happened to be helping Jennifer Lopez's already filthy rich mother win a Million Dollars on a slot machine in Vegas (She says God helped her win). By the time his attention went to the Church the two young girls were dead. Dems the breaks. He did have time to give the lady in question the strength to stand up to the gunman but unfortunately while he was doing that 1000 people were killed in an earthquake in makeyupistan. Its there own fault really though. They were praying to the wrong God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Lads i dont think you're getting this article at all. This girl, a security guard, shot and killed the attacker preventing many many deaths. Whether she likes to thank God or whoever, surely she's a hero not an idiot???? She carried out her job and she's getting slated here. Beyond me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Lads i dont think you're getting this article at all. This girl, a security guard, shot and killed the attacker preventing many many deaths. Whether she likes to thank God or whoever, surely she's a hero not an idiot???? She carried out her job and she's getting slated here. Beyond me.
    Oh, that changes everything!!! I thought she took him down physically, but she shot him? Pfft, anyone could do that!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Dudess wrote: »
    Meh, she was just lucky. Her faith is admirable but it wasn't a good idea to take a risk like that.

If people's faith help them to do something or get through something then i don't see the problem.

But I agree, it's not something I would do for all the Hail Mary's in Rome.

If people's faith help them to do something or get through something then i don't see the problem.

But I agree, it's not something I would do for all the Hail Mary's in Rome.

So if you were a cop or in law enforcement you couldnt execute your duty and take down a lunatic trying to commit mass murder?

So if you were a cop or in law enforcement you couldnt execute your duty and take down a lunatic trying to commit mass murder?

Im unsure how I got from being a law abiding citizen attending Sunday worship, to being a police officer.

If you were an accountant, would you go do the job of a pig farmer?

Im unsure how I got from being a law abiding citizen attending Sunday worship, to being a police officer.

If you were an accountant, would you go do the job of a pig farmer?

If i were an accountant i would shoot myself!!! :D

By the way, what im getting at is...... She wasnt attending Sunday Service, she was security @ the service. i.e. her exact role was there in case of this event, and she carried out her duty.

"...Two church members were shot to death and three others were injured after a gunman opened fire outside the New Life Church in Colorado Springs as Sunday services were wrapping up.

The gunman was shot by a church female security officer and was found dead when police arrived at the scene, said Colorado Springs Police Chief Richard Myers.
    "

ahhhhh, right.
    gottcha, my bad.

In that case, she did her job.

as for your original question, its funny you should mention fulfilling duty and being a cop...

give it about 6 months, and I will tell you :)

• Advertisement

and to all those who laughed at churches needing security... :)

ahhhhh, right.

as for your original question, its funny you should mention fulfilling duty and being a cop...

LOL you heard about all the free perks from another thread didnt you!! good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

she any relation to Jerry Yang?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well done Assam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

ahhhhh, right.
    gottcha, my bad.

In that case, she did her job.

You're going on a killing spree in Templemore?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Going off topic for a second; since God killed his only son - does that not mean that he technically supports late-term abortion?

Maximilian wrote: »
    Going off topic for a second; since God killed his only son - does that not mean that he technically supports late-term abortion?
    That's the only reasonable conclusion that I can find.

humanji wrote: »
    You're going on a killing spree in Templemore?

I wouldnt be a cop in Ireland for all the tea in China.
    Im in Australia. I'll have a service revolver.

muther****ers :)

I'm sure I should warn someone, but I do like a good shooting news story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

She is getting slated for bringing God into it. I would say the person who taught her how to aim a gun and fire it had more to do with saving the rest of the people than God did. If God really wanted to intervene he would have struck the bloke with lightning as he was leaving home that morning, thereby saving all the lives. Fair play to her, but a ridiculous comment.

Advertisement