Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English TV

Options
  • 18-12-2007 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Does anyone know if a TV in England works in Ireland? The TV we brought from England won't receive any channels. The TV tech guy we asked to look at it said it was because it was an English TV and said he could fix the problem by selling us NTL.

I am convinced its just a problem with the aerial though. The couple in the flat before us had sky and some weird little attachment on the aerial socket in the wall, so they must have been running the dish through the wall socket.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Are the irish channels tuned in? I don't think there is a difference between UK and Irish TV's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not sure but think and would asume both tvs are tuned to different systems

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Scobius90

If you are only using analogue, your "english" set will not be able to receive a lot of the channels :(. The reason, and I am open to correction, is that a lot of channels in the Rep. and Europe (not UK) are broadcast on VHF and your TV cannot pick this band up no matter what kind of aerial etc you use. If your TV was bought in Ireland or on the continent you would be able to pick up these channels. you're only hope is to subscribe to a digital package.

You can check this by doing a tune and see if the TV checks the VHF as well as the UHF bands? if it only checks UHF, then you're in hard luck.

I've just purchased the UK version of a plasma tv and it will not pick up any of the analogue channels, but I use NTL digital anyway so it makes no odds to me and I knew that.

good luck and hope this helps!

Advertisement