Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new temp monitor

Options
  • 17-12-2007 4:18pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

HI,

have to temp move my pc to beside a 26" tv - the good part

The tv has rgb, scart and hdmi(no vga). The pc has dvi,svideo and vga on gc.

can I connect svideo out of pc to scart connector on tv ? (don't need sound thru tv -external spearkers)
    vga/dvi to hdmi cable is fine but an expesnive cable for a temp move.

thx
    k

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yes you can do either. or even s-video to rgb.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,

have the pc hooked up by S-video to scart to the lcd.
    But cannot get a great picture at all.
    I have tried diff resolutions and even have my old 19" lcd hooked up so I can read the text in say - control panel.

Looked up the specs of this monitor - and res shows 1366 * 768

is svideo to scart not good enough ?
    what else can I try ? a better connection -- dvi or vga to hdmi ?

any ideas ?
    K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

S-video is limited to the resolution of standard definition TV. You'll need to run at 640x480 or (a slightly blurry) 800x600 if you want readable text.

If your graphics card supports 1366x768 and has a DVI output, a DVI to HDMI cable will let you run the screen at 1366x768. 768 is somewhat limited in terms of vertical resolution but will certainly give you better results than S-Video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

hdmi/dvi cable shouldn't be at all expensive. Get the very cheapest you can find, and quality will be in no way degraded.
    Something like this:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2

If you can find something that cheap that ships cheap to you, get it. It'll be well worth it for moving up from s-video.

went down to pcworld yesterday to see if they had a cheap dvi-hdmi cable :eek:

yes they did - but decided not to buy the e72 one but the e11 one from ebay.

what a joke.

will have this cable in 3 days odd.

thanks for the help.

k

• Advertisement

Just as an update :)

Got the dvi-hdmi cable yesterday - hook it up and it's perfect.

Just now need to mess with the res - prob 1366*768 and see how it goes.

But a result.

thx for any replies etc

K

Advertisement