Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone able to give me a translation?

Options
  • 16-12-2007 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭

I always thought I had pretty good french but I havn't the foggiest clue what this means,

I've been speaking to a French girl in college the past while and we were texting each other yesterday a message containing the following:

"je vais au pieu la parceque je tiens plus debout"

This stumped me, I forgot to ask what it meant and the conversation drifted to something else so I didn't consider it good etiquette to bring it up again.

Anyone able to help me out here? I tried using translators and got stuff that didn't seem to make any sense, I'm hoping a real person can get the context, tell me if there's a typo or whatever.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Afaik 'parceque' isn't a French word, unless its an abbreviation of something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'm going to bed coz I can't stand up anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Parceque means because.

Roughly: "I'm hitting the sack, because I'm falling asleep on my feet."

Does anyone know why the "la" is there? Is it meant to be "là"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

thats a direct transcript of what she wrote, I'm aware of parce que and la having an accent(unsure how to get it on my english keyboard) but she's too lazy to bother with those.

Sorry, should've been clearer

thanks folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

So just to summarise:
    The text message was:
    "je vais au pieu la parceque je tiens plus debout"

Making this grammatically correct we get:
    "Je vais au pieu là, parce que je ne tiens plus debout"

Which, as obl has already very well translated, means:
    "I'm hitting the sack, because I'm falling asleep on my feet."

or more litteraly:
    "I'm going to bed now, because I can no longer stay up (on my feet)"

The word that stumped me was "pieu" meaning "bed". Never heard it before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

We sometimes use words from regions of France.
    For example, a part from my family is from the North of France and in the north we do not say "cheveux" we say "caveux".

So sometimes this type of word, that you do not really learn at school because they are more part of the folklore that anything else, might be used by a French guy. Making your life difficult.
    I know the word "pieu" but I am not sure of its origins, it is maybe from some of the regions, maybe the north.

As you probably know as well, in France we pronounce a lot of words the other way around or even barbarisms. For those who have seen "La Haine" might have noticed.
    For example, "la femme", we sometimes say "la meuf".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

That's called verlan right?
    Is it just the young maghrebiens and africans in the suburbs that use that dialect, or has it spread to other socio-ecnomic groups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

Dasilva94 wrote: »
    That's called verlan right?
    Is it just the young maghrebiens and africans in the suburbs that use that dialect, or has it spread to other socio-ecnomic groups?

The word "Verlan" is in fact itself verlan as it is the reverse of the two syllables in " l'envers " meaning the inverse. Verlan is not only confined to young maghrebiens and africans in the poor suburbs, but rather is used by the youth in poor suburbs in general. It just so 'happens' that the poor pobulation areas have a high percentage of africans.
    By the way, I wouldn't call verlan a dialect, it's more an intelligent form of slang.

Examples of verlan used by a lot of young french people (regardless of background) are:
    meuf = femme = woman (but often meant to mean "girl" or "gal" or girlfriend)
    ouf = fou = mad (example: c'est ouf ça !)

Sometimes a word in verlan becomes so much a part of the language the people forget that it's verlan and end up reversing it again. Probably the most well known example of this is the verlan for "arabe" which is "beur". This has now being re-verlanised into "reub" or "rebeu"!
    Check out the following Wikipedia article for more info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verlan

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaCorkGeezer

The "Là" for "Maintenant" is very common in spoken French. Very idiomatic.

Advertisement