Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning the flute

Options
  • 16-12-2007 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭

I play the tin whistle ( i had 3 lessons ) but mostly taught myself from a book ... I'm OK not fantastic or anything ... id love to learn the flute ..i have found a practise flute on the net for 70 euro .. i was wondering is it possible to teach your self the flute ..what dose anyone think ..thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Concert or Irish Flute?

If Irish then -

http://totalmusicsupply.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=99493

Isn't a bad one to buy to get the feel of it and learn a few tunes,then if you like it you can upgrade.

Yes you can teach yourself flute,there are some brilliant books out there but it is probably better and easier to get 1 or 2 lessons first then continue on your own.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

A link to the flute might be useful. If its an irish flute its played in much the same way as a tin whistle with the exception of breathing method, obviously. I'd recommend lessons too, for a while if you can get them. Its a good place to get the basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Imo definitely get at least 1/2 lessons. Developing a good embouchure is really important and this is most easily learned from a teacher. After 1/2 lessons though I think that you should be ok on your own. Get a few tune books (if you don't already have any) and listen to a lot of music.

Advertisement