Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics based jobs

Options
  • 16-12-2007 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows what the criterea is for getting a job in the economics field. Is a masters an essential?
    I'm just finishing a U.C.D. degree in economics and sociology. Would I be able to apply for jobs in the economics area with any success after i'm finished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

A masters is definitely going to help you - so many people have a masters now and you would be competing against all of those in your interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

It seems to depend on whether you have been taking quants classes so far in your degree. Most of the prospective jobs i have seen require some level of quants to qualify. Risk Analyst seems to be a job that crops up quite a lot in my research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hornblower_live

Deffo get a masters in finance or economics. there are loads in ireland (tcd/ucd/dcu/ucc/ul) and worth the extra year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭AlexD

Depends what kind of work you want to do. If you want to be an economist by and description then you will definitely need a good Masters degree that trains you for research, the Msc in Trinity fully qualifies you as a public or private sector researcher. As a previous poster mentioned if you have a strong quantiative record in your BA this may be sufficient to enter a Phd programme or work as an economist. If you want to work in policy, management, journalism politics or advocacy then a good BA would be fine.

Advertisement