Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organise my collection of mp3's

Options
  • 15-12-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Over the years I have ripped my CDs onto my PC into mp3's. The problem is that as I did this over the years I used different software and as such there is little consistancy. I have one folder called "Music" that is full of sub folders. Each sub folder generally contains an album, but sometimes a sub folder is an artist and then within that there is albums from that artist!

Sometimes the names of the tracks are ripped as "Track 1.mp3", other times they will have a text description (but no standard naming convention). Some tracks that I have ripped in recent times may have ID3 tags...

Anyway, you get the idea.....I have my mp3 collection and its big but somewhat disorganised!

I recently setup a media center and was looking forward to having my collection available from my TV, but its a mess!

So, finally I get to my question!....is there any software out there that you can get to examine your music folder that will:
    - Organise the directory structure into something compatible with MediaCenter
    - For un-known tracks look at the titles of the files and try to guess etc?
    - Download the appropriate album art etc...
    - Highlight any issues etc..

I really dont fancy spending my crimbo hols re-ripping my entire collection and am assuming that there are others out there who have come accross this problem and therefore have a solution!!!

Any suggestions welcomed,

Thanks,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Have a look at MusicBrainz - it should do what you need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Thanks for the suggestion Wizzard, will give that a try tomorrow!
    Cheers,
    Jab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

thanks for the suggestion. musicbrainz is excellent.

i have about 1200 albums (~12,000 tracks), the file names and tags are all over the place. This utility is excactly what I was after.

Advertisement