Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDCC have bought two houses in our private street

Options
  • 15-12-2007 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭

I just heard this yesterday, how can they do this? We paid top money for our house and now the council buy 2 houses on one row and are going to de-value our property, they shouldn't be allowed to do this without input from the residents, seriously upset about this, its bad enough with the amount of rented houses in the estate, has this happened in your estates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

Are they buying them to provide under-privileged families a chance to afford a decent home in a safe environment? Because if they are, then shame on you for believing this devalues your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

IamBeowulf wrote: »
    Are they buying them to provide under-privileged families a chance to afford a decent home in a safe environment? Because if they are, then shame on you for believing this devalues your home.

Well thats what I'm trying to find out is it part of their affordable homes plan or what is their plan? If it devalues my property then yes I do have a major issue with it as do all the other residents I've spoken too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

are you going to sell you house any time soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If they consulted the residents everytime they wanted to do this then nothing would ever happen.
    Afaik, the days of building massive areas of social housing are over.
    It'll be a few houses/apartments in new developments and then buying more houses in established areas.

Your new neighbours may be renting from the council but you already have have many neighbours renting from rich landlords (your house is worth top money) so what's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

reeks of snobbery ...

and anyway the councils are supposed to get a percentage of all new developments to provide affordable / social housing (doesnt always happen, but its supposed to) ... so there should already be people living in council property on your estate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The only time to worry about the effects of this on you is if there is anti-social behaviour coming from the residents of those houses. I that happens then you can complain to the council, otherwise, try getting to know these people. Not everyone that lives in affordable housing or council estates are scum!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No its not snobbery, and fine its ok for the council to buy a couple of houses in an estate, but to buy two houses on the same side of the street 5 doors between them seems to suggest to me that they are looking to turn it into some kind of council street, it sucks yeah we have a lot of rented houses on our road which is a pain also, for example there are guys parking what I would consider commercial Vans on the road, not one four or 5, which is fine but it actually blocked the Green bin collection last week, they are all in rented houses, u ask them nicely to move your told to f off, the street was full of owner occupied houses when we moved in 10 years ago, out of 20 houses there are now six families who own the houses, and I'm worried there are another two houses for sale and with the signs up if the council try and buy them then I really will be worried! Oh by the way we have made friends with some of the people in the rented houses, the problem is that they move on and you don't really know who is going to end up renting the house.

Who should I contact to find out? which councillers are the best to contact? The best of them was Fintan McCartey, he got things done and he is sorely missed, I've emailed Derek Keating on a few things and left him voicemails but he never gets back, haven't tried the others, any other decent councillers who could look into this for me?

Advertisement