Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDCC to scrap Bin tags!!!

Options
  • 15-12-2007 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading in the Gazzette that SDCC are going to scrap the Bin Tag system, I think this is a disaster, and we'll probably end up paying more.
    Do you remember when it was an annual charge, it used to be a real pain to pay, I always thought the Bin tag system worked well in our area of Lucan, never had a tag taken (although I always staple it multiple times). Are we heading for being overcharged for the green collection of bins and brown bins when we get them? What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well just hope they don't introduce the 'charge by weight' system. This is currently on trial in parts of the UK. Basically the weight of your non-recyclable waste is calculated and you are charged accordingly.

Of course, possible problems with this are:
    1) Neighbours topping up your bin with their waste
    2) People putting non-recyclable waste into green bins

I do like the idea but I don't fancy having to lock and unlock my bin every time I put waste into it because I'm afraid the guy across the road is going to load up my bin...

Having a blanket annual charge is also unfair simply because it doesn't provide and incentive for recycling. Some people don't need any incentive but unfortunately many do.

So did the Gazette way anything about when this is likely to happen? Is it pure speculation and media-hype or is there a concrete proposal in place to remove the bin-tag system?

Advertisement