Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Waste Bins

Options
  • 15-12-2007 5:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Recently got the new brown bin and green one, I'm all for recycling but why on earth do I still have to pay the same yearly charge for my black bin when it is now only emptied every second week (26 weeks instead of 52 weeks), the brown & green ones are a free service so why no decrease in cost :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭gipi

So they can say that the brown & green bins are a free service perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Because oxigen are muppets. Simple as that.
    No pay by weight (as promised 2 yrs back) and no pay by lift....we are effectively paying a standing charge; bin companies get away with far too much in this country....some money being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Wertz wrote: »
    bin companies get away with far too much in this country....some money being made.
    Too right they are, I think the brown bin is a complete waste of time, I've yet to get it anywere hear half full, besides it will be gone when I get my garden done as I'll have a compost bin then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

This is actually disgraceful. The green/brown bins ARENT free! theyre free for the first three months thats all then a charge applies.
    We called about this bin this morning, 'cos we basically didn't want it. So, we have to write a letter to the dept. of environment stating we don't want it and we understand and agree our black bin can therefore only be collected every second week???wtf??? So if it's only getting collected half the time, shouldnt we only have to pay half the charge??

Does it not upset anyone to know that Oxigen collects our bins, recycles the stuff & then sends the bulk recycled produce on TO CHINA! for profit? why are we having to pay if theyre making money both ends??

This brown bin is a disgusting sham, we're basically organising our rubbish for them in order to save them the hassle of having to do it initially and improve the quality of their product ultimately! it's a ****in disgrace. And it's freaky that people are just doing it!
    We're simply not putting it out & hoping they then don't send us a lift charge 'cos we're fighting it if they do. Yet there's no scans involved so theyre gonna bill us anyways.

Anyone else think we're having the complete piss taken out of us? How are they getting away with this??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

This is actually disgraceful. The green/brown bins ARENT free! theyre free for the first three months thats all then a charge applies.
    You what :eek:, how much are they charging and where does it state about a charge ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

its 74 euro a year after the initial 3 month free period..which is bollox..they promised a charge by lift/weight scheme this year and it hasnt happened, whichd be better cos youd only be puttin out the thing when it was full...****in sickening..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I can't believe they're going to charge to lift the brown bins. I'll be making a call later today.

They can come and collect it. We never fill our black bin anyway, I could put it out once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

If you've Panda in the area they may be worth trying. They have the tags which are better if you don't fill the black bin in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Whats going on here is a race to win over as many customers as possible or hold onto what you have. Oxigen have launched the brown bin as an added extra to their service because of the threat of Panda entering their patch.

Fingal were the first local authority to trial the brown bin, the trial has been ongoing for the last 2 years and the results are not good. The bins during the non gardening months are not even half full resulting in massive costs to empty bins 1/3 full. During the summer months the smell from the brown bins is a major problem. They have tried to overcome this by putting an air vent in the lid but this acts as an entrance/exit for swarms of flies attracted to this bin.

The outcome of this race for the waste will be a major hiking of prices for the householder through a system of paying an annual service charge and pay per lift. Pay per lift seems cheap ish with many company's but when they introduce pay per lift for each of the three bins it will be far from cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Oxigen are absolute rip-off merchants - I told them to shove their service ages back and switched to ACE - who are much better value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Bard wrote: »
    Oxigen are absolute rip-off merchants - I told them to shove their service ages back and switched to ACE - who are much better value.

Same here. I save €100s every year now with Ace.

Advertisement