Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your thoughts on this

Options
  • 14-12-2007 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Me and my friends are doing mini company. We are doing a magazine and we have a choice of either a game magazine filled with reviews, computer tips and competitions as well as news from the gaming world and info on local lan events.

OR

A student magazine including info on school events over Dubliln, Sports news and reviews on music dvd's and games.

We are gonna have a website no matter which we decide to do.

I don't know what to think. The second one is harder and I'm willing to go ahead which do you guys would be more successful. I have never seen a school magazine really. So i think there is a gap in the market for that. But I think the games mag would be easier to do and possibly get the same profit.

I'm asking your thoughts as most of you are students in the same year as us?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

For our enterprise we did the magazine with game reviews, and computer stuff. Sold 15!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Your going to have to completely change your strategy here, music, sports, music, games???.....Your missing the key element and thats chicks....

Chicks buy more magazines than any guys and you need to exploit that,
    yep have a one pager on games/music or something but then fill the rest with complete crap about fashion, celeb, makeup etc and you got yourself a seller.

Compare school skirts, guides to snogging behind the gym, how to smoke in the school jacks without getting caught and an idiots guide to school graffiti. Fill it with interesting stuff that people wanna read...

Nobody wants to know how crap Shane Wards new CD is etc, people want scandals...

Go fourth my young fla and lead the school magazine market...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

I'd definately do games and computer stuff because my school does an annual magazine about the school (as a whole school project, not a mini company) and they lose money every year.

Last year there was hardly anything to put in it and teachers did most of the work. They forced everyone to buy a copy and everyone got one but hardly anyone paid.

Also, do it as cheaply as possible. My school's magazine was fairly expensive - €2 for 10 pages. That was mostly because it was full colour on Xerox and most of the pages had massive blank spaces on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭X-Ecuti0ner

Feelgood wrote: »
    Your going to have to completely change your strategy here, music, sports, music, games???.....Your missing the key element and thats chicks....

Chicks buy more magazines than any guys and you need to exploit that,
    yep have a one pager on games/music or something but then fill the rest with complete crap about fashion, celeb, makeup etc and you got yourself a seller.

Compare school skirts, guides to snogging behind the gym, how to smoke in the school jacks without getting caught and an idiots guide to school graffiti. Fill it with interesting stuff that people wanna read...

Nobody wants to know how crap Shane Wards new CD is etc, people want scandals...

Go fourth my young fla and lead the school magazine market...
    We're not selling them were giving them out for free, all profits and production money are made from advertisement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Just logged back on and that reposted itself:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

As a small,side item for our mini company, we did something similar- we made a free calendar to raise funds by advertisement. If you have the balls, and want to keep your production costs down, make a batch of magazines in full colour, show these as the examples to the advertisers, then print the real ones in black and white. Saved us a ****e load of money.

Advertisement