Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life after an arts degree..

Options
  • 14-12-2007 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I'm coming to the end of a 4 year degree, my subjects are Geography and Italian, and I'm starting to have a "what next" crisis. I like Italian, but Geography is my stronger and "beloved" subject, I like all aspects of it, from the cultural to the social, to the political, to the historical..the economic-not so much. Ok, you get it, I should run a geography fan club.

I was just wondering if anyone has done a has masters/phd in anything geography related, and if so, where did they do it and was it any good?

Secondly, if you did, or know of someone who did a masters/phd, where are you/they now?

I have to add though, that i really do not want to study in UCD (I've had enough of that place tbh), and I do not want to go into teaching-I just don't get kids, i'm not that kind of lady.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

A friend of mine did a PhD in Geology (I know, not exactly Geography!) and he now lives on a volcano in the Canaries.

I think PhD is the way to go if you want to stay in Geography but don't want to be a teacher...

Certainly if you're still early 20's and are used to the student lifestyle, I would stay on for a PhD. I wish I had of done that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Rosita

From what I hear of Phds I would warn anyone to approach the idea with caution.

The "student lifestyle" is fine but a Phd has quicksand qualities for anyone who is not utterly focused and has a very definite plan to finish it in a reasonable time.

It can be argued to be of dubious value too in that in areas where one is needed everyone going for those positions will have one, and in areas where it is not needed it may prove even a disadvantage as you may appear to a potential employer as someone who plans to do something else since you have done a Phd in the first place and could up and leave at any stage. Some might refer to this as being "over-qualified" but as far as I see it it usually means unsuitably qualified.

I would suggest looking no further than a Master's and then asking the hard questions regarding a Phd, what is involved, what you expect to get out of it and is that realistic. It's a long time to spend doing something just for the sake of it and a long time to spend making up your mind what you want to do.

You should maybe consider dipping you toes in the teaching waters as a sub before deciding for absolute that you "don't get kids."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

Thanks for the replies.
    Rosita, I've dipped my toe into the teaching water by helping kids out in the past with homework help and tutoring, I'm not a kids person, and never have been, they might be for some people and go them, but they're not for me, thank you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

If you do a PhD you'll probably have to lecture. I know that it's not the same as teaching but you would really have to consider the aspects of teaching which didn't appeal to you and if those same aspects are a part of lecturing then I would consider going a different route.

Have you thought of town planning as a career? I know that it's really hard to get into. I think that there are a number of Masters options available but that you would have to get some experience first.

Advertisement