Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocktails in TGI Fridays - 'big' size are not all they seem

Options
  • 13-12-2007 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Was at TGIs recently, and we ordered cocktails.
    Many on the list are served in a basic cocktail glass, at around €8.50.
    You can get an 'ultimate' size for €11.45. The glass appears much bigger at first, and you think you're getting a much large drink.
    However, all is not as it seems.
    The glass is just shaped differently and a lot thicker.
    When we were finished, we filled up a normal €8.50 glass with water from a jug (left at the table), and then poured this into an empty 'ultimate' glass.
    Low and behold, the ultimate filled nearly right up to the top... or at least to the same level the drink was originally served it it.
    So, looks like they are making a tidy €3 for nothing, but you drinking from a different glass.

Another point was that no volumes / mls were mentioned on the menu. Is this allowed?

Here's a 'normal' glass for €8.50drink1.jpg

The 'Ultimate' glasses at €11.45 a pop:5Ultimates.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Looks like the "ultimate" is just referring to fancy extras, like fruit slices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Not sure on that. Think they are just 'special' ultimates.
    The ones we got were just in a different glass... no fruit / other thing in it.
    Unbelievable what some companies will try these days to rake in more dosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

That's incredible.

TGI Friday's food is rip off. Didn't realise their drink is too.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Was actually in a TGI Fridays the other day and the waiter told us not to bother ordering the bigger sized ones cos it just meant more ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

WHISKEY MAN omg!!! i did the same thing the other night i have been going to tgi for a goood while now & i would always by the ultimate woo woo or sunset blvd.

when i was given a the 8.50 size by mistake i said nouthing and drank it, i left the glass on the table and do the test you did, it came to the same level. i was so pissed off for years i have been getting ripped off by them bstrds, there is no difference jusy the glass.

put it this way i will never get an ultimate again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Did you not complain?

I would have brought the manager over and asked him/her to explain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Why is TGI so popular? Food is average. And I hate drinking in a place with that many kids around.
    Is it the combination of average food and a good selection of alcohol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

JæKæ wrote: »
    Why is TGI so popular? Food is average.

The food is terrible! I left there actually angry the food had been so poor and so overpriced.

I think the reason people eat there is because most people want "average" and are risk adverse. The idea of going somewhere they never heard of probably sits uneasy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

JæKæ wrote: »
    Is it the combination of average food and a good selection of alcohol?
    I think so. I know a couple who go their and get pissed, it is the equivalent of eddie rockets in my mind, except costing more and worse food. They tolerate people being pissed and loud. Drunks do not mind poor food.

All spirits are a ripoff in pubs, very little alcohol in them for the price compared to beers, and if you are buying mixers then you may as well be burning money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Anyone ever try that Blue Bubblegum cocktail thing in TGI's? My mate got one and I ordered a coke. The waitress came along with the drinks. We burst out laughing when we saw the cocktail. He asked for a coke too.

The thing was tiny. Twice the circumference of my pinky and about the same length as it. haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I think I have one of the Ultimate glasses at home, helps when you ask the waiter to look the other way, and the tip was decent for a table of 4! :)

not trolling but I have to say how Irish people still frequent places like this serving overpriced muck food is beyond me. was ok in late 80's early 90's when there was nothing else around but at least now there is some choice. if you want a decent burger - go to that place in Dun Laoighre - "Real Gourmet Burger"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Murt10

I was in TGIs in Blanchardstown yesterday afternoon.

2 adults and 1 young teenagager and a child. The bill for the 4 of us came to E121.

Only we had the E50 in TESCO clubcard vouchers, which gives you 4 times the value of the voucher, I would have felt as sick as a pig and very hard done by. As it was I felt that the E70 cash that we paid was overpriced.

Normally, the size of the bill in a rstaurant is made bigger by the cost of the alcohol, but we only had 1 large (the smallest large I've ever seen) glass of wine @ E6.50, so it wasn't that.

And people still wonder why we want to go abroad for our holidays. Well there's is your answer.

A very mediocre meal, in the middle of the day, costing E120. If we were on holidays we would also have to pay for an evening meal as well. We'd be bankrupt by the end of the fortnight.

TGI Fridays. Now very high on my list of places to avoid

Murt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Cocktail's in TGI's arent for people with taste, there modern variations of good cocktails. Try Venu on St.Annes street, The Morgan, Crunsh on georges street and SIN in temple bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 d-a-s-h

wow, really annoyed that this was my favourite restaurant... feeling pretty stupid right about now. No more going till I win the lotto so :)

p.s. sorry guys but i kinda like the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 goodgirl12

Can anyone tell me if TGIs blanchardstown are doing the 5euro cocktails? On the website it just says Stephens Green, blackrock and dundrum??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

After reading the thread, were you not put off?
    Its no wonder these places are still open! :rolleyes:

Advertisement