Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goods quoted at wrong price - rights?

Options
  • 13-12-2007 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I purchased goods from a website based in Ireland. I agreed to buy an item at the price listed online and paid with my credit card, received an online invoice etc.

I then received a call to say, 'Sorry but the actual price of that item is..' almost double the quoted price & did I want to proceed with the order. I voiced my thoughts on that and I was told the website was new and there is a disclaimer on it to protect them.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the general gist of it, but is there not a consumer law to say that they must provide the goods at the stated price? I always thought there was and would love to be able to quote it to them in my letter of complaint.

Any advice?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There are better legal minds than mine here, but a stated price I believe is an offer to treat, and not a contract. However you are further along the line, in that they have already taken your money for the item, at that price. It depends on at what point in the contract of sale comes into force, and what t&cs they are using to cover themselves in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

They have every right not to sell to you at the price on the website.

I dont see anything that says they actually took the money from his credit card. If they did then that does change the situation.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Beano wrote: »
    I dont see anything that says they actually took the money from his credit card. If they did then that does change the situation.

It was how I understood the post, but yes, the op needs to check the money is actually gone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Once they accept your money, and send you confirmation of the order (payment accepted) then you have a legally binding contract of sale. They cannot then go back and say the price is wrong. The invoice confirming sale is enough.

I've been there before with an Irish retailer online, and they finally agreed that I was in the right and they were in the wrong.

Contact the Consumer Rights Association for more information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭hotshots85

now not wanting you to name the company .what was the product you bought .was the first price too good to be true. if so and it was a legit company then i can see their point .but then again it could have been just another scam to get people to buy and then keep then half way through the transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nchch

The accepted my payment online and then sent me an order confirmation quoting items, price and payment details but the funds have not left my account yet and not showing as unposted transactions.

The price did seem fair to me, didn't think I was getting a bargain or anything like that. To be honest I don't think they are a dodgy company but then again, they are still showing the same price online so it makes me wonder.

I'm trying to relate this to a shop. If I picked up a item in Tesco and the price on the shelf was €3 and then when I got to the checkout they tried to charge me €5 - would they not have to sell the goods at the advertised price?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

nchch wrote: »

I'm trying to relate this to a shop. If I picked up a item in Tesco and the price on the shelf was €3 and then when I got to the checkout they tried to charge me €5 - would they not have to sell the goods at the advertised price?

No , they give it to you free... but thats just a Tesco policy , not the law...

ìf they havent taken your money yet then you are out of luck. most online shops now have a policy in place that says a contract doesnt exist until they have charged you. You can understand it from their point of view. A simple pricing mistake can end up costing them thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Teelas

Would love to know what happened in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thread's over 7 years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement