Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good looking= more news coverage?

Options
  • 12-12-2007 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30112

Illustrates my point. So, all week we have had the Katy French story about. Now, admittedtly she was famous, but does being good looking guarantee people more news coverage?

For example, you may recall a few months back there was a girl killed on the M50 (i think). Good looking, blonde. Normally you dont hear more than the persons name being released, but this girl and her story were in the news for maybe 3 days. Same with that junkie from Dublin who was in the news last year. The media was all over her, even Sky News carried her story. Obviously her looks were ptrtty fcuked up by years of abuse and her arms were destroyed, but you got the impression that if she took care of herself she could be good looking. Lo and behold a few months later she was modelling clothes in the Sunday World, looking good enough (obviously not stunning, she would have some time rehabillitating before the affect of the abuse disappear, if they ever do at all). Seemed she got more attention than the legions of overweight, crap gold wearing female junkies all over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Tha Gopher wrote: »

Illustrates my point. So, all week we have had the Katy French story about. Now, admittedtly she was famous, but does being good looking guarantee people more news coverage?

For example, you may recall a few months back there was a girl killed on the M50 (i think). Good looking, blonde. Normally you dont hear more than the persons name being released, but this girl and her story were in the news for maybe 3 days. Same with that junkie from Dublin who was in the news last year. The media was all over her, even Sky News carried her story. Obviously her looks were ptrtty fcuked up by years of abuse and her arms were destroyed, but you got the impression that if she took care of herself she could be good looking. Lo and behold a few months later she was modelling clothes in the Sunday World, looking good enough (obviously not stunning, she would have some time rehabillitating before the affect of the abuse disappear, if they ever do at all). Seemed she got more attention than the legions of overweight, crap gold wearing female junkies all over.

Are you not talking about the accident that happened in the fog on the N7 ? If so, she was the only person that died and it got a lot of coverage because of the scale of the pile up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Yes, people are fickle and when it comes to spewing that emotion saturated rubbish they call news, looks count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

To answer your question. NO.. Where a person comes on the beauty scale doesn't affect coverage. A story is a story to the media. Obviously, young people dying will attract more coverage than older person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

alleepally wrote: »
    Are you not talking about the accident that happened in the fog on the N7 ? If so, she was the only person that died and it got a lot of coverage because of the scale of the pile up.
    Yeah but similar to the Katy French crap that's in the media at the moment, it was all "she was such a nice woman, so sociable etc". Wish they'd cut the sh1t and say it how it is, she was a retard who drove down a motorway at the usual speed through intense fog, crashed and died. Katy French was a drug abusing party girl who strippped off for the worst papers in the country, yet there's more crap praising her. Neither were role models, yet the papers make them out to be.

Seems the "good looking" are the "innocent tragedies" who deserve to have their stories known, and the ugly scum junkies are just that, ugly junkies who don't deserve to have their stories told. In the papers anyway.

From what I remember, the papers have never published anything negative about Kate McCann, even though she's been named as a suspect, has been through continuous questioning etc, yet other families who've been through similar but have the misfortune of not being good looking doctors won't have their story receive a one hundreth of the attention.

So yeah, as far as the medias concerned, good looking = "find out whatever you can, make a story out of it and publish some pics", bad looking = "Publish as little as possible and lets get this under the rug already".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

alleepally wrote: »
    To answer your question. NO.. Where a person comes on the beauty scale doesn't affect coverage.

do you have empirical evidence to back that up? there's a ridiculous amount of studies done that show that good looks can benefit you in all walks of life... i would be hard pressed to believe this were not the same scenario with regards media coverage.

Madeline McCann probably got a ****load more press becasue she conformed so well to image sterotypes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i find that people who rabbit on about how much news coverage beautiful people get to be extremely tedious.
    what do you want, news equality for all people?
    being friendless, i am aware you have a lot of free time on your hands, but this is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

i find that people who rabbit on about how much news coverage beautiful people get to be extremely tedious.
    being friendless, i am aware you have a lot of free time on your hands, but this is just silly.

Objective unemotional news coverage, not sensationalist emotive crap. It may never happen but that doesn't mean we should accept the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

LOL :D Alan, your stalking of me is becoming alarming. I have 104 friends.

Humbert- dont mind him.

Alleepally- dunno, the news coverage even went as far as her funeral, and was front page stuff for most of the week. It struck me as I could never recall any other non famous car accident victim getting as much coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Alan
    ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, shut up Alan!
    humbert wrote: »
    Objective unemotional news coverage, not sensationalist emotive crap. It may never happen but that doesn't mean we should accept the way it is.
    I'm sure you can find some news feeds that spool the news out without any human involvement. Rather dull though, I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

rb_ie wrote: »
    ?

I would explain, but WWMan will ban me if I dont take his increasingly regular attempts at e-bullying with good humour. Its beyond sad but anyway....

Back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

well don't think your girlfriend would have been in tears at the end of titanic if it was Jonny Vegas slippin off into the Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

well don't think your girlfriend would have been in tears at the end of titanic if it was Jonny Vegas slippin off into the Atlantic

would have made for a better ending tho, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Alan, Alan, Alan...:(

*Shakes head sadly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

You'll know if anything ever happens to me. It will be all over the papers, the tv.....everywhere.

*is hella sexay*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Archeron

Jonny Vegas would have floated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Archeron wrote: »
    Jonny Vegas would have floated.

Plus he would have had to buy two tickets.

larf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Spoilers for god's sake! Now I know that the ship sinks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Wacker wrote: »
    Spoilers for god's sake! Now I know that the ship sinks!!!

He never mentioned the ship :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

As usual, The Onion says it best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

What about Freddie Mercury? Ugly as fook but was big news for weeks when he died of lemonaides.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I must say, I feel sorry for the girl in the original link, being used as an example of an ugly girl. Can't be very good for her self esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If it's somebody good looking, yes it does, particularly in the Indo stable where it's any excuse for a lovely girls pic. Not sure how good looking people thought Rachel O'Reilly was but her pic was on front page of Herald so much because apparently they would sell 25,000 more copies each times she was. Haven't heard figures in relation to Katy French but I'd be surprised if it wasn't more than that.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It's true. I'm shockingly handsome and am rarely (if ever) out of the news...

Advertisement