Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best college to study music?

Options
  • 12-12-2007 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

where do i apply if i want to study music, not entirely classical and with a broad range of subjects? and what are the entrance tests like(what kind of pieces do i have to perform, what is the aural part like:confused:)? i'd be really happy if anyone could help=)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

susie_soho wrote: »
    where do i apply if i want to study music, not entirely classical and with a broad range of subjects? and what are the entrance tests like(what kind of pieces do i have to perform, what is the aural part like:confused:)? i'd be really happy if anyone could help=)

You should ask on the nui maynooth fourum for a start. A few music students post there and maynooth music course is supposed to be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TheInvisibleFie

I think the only places to study it in university are Maynooth, Cork and Trinity (2 courses there - one actual music the other music teaching). From what I remember of searching last year Cork was the only one that included a performance aspect in your actual degree. You can (or at least could and I doubt much changes in a year) study it as music studies as one of four subjects in the BA; as a joint music and arts degree (so music and 2 other subjects in first year, continuing music and one subject year 2 & 3); or as a plain music degree. Their entrance exam wasn't too bad. A performance piece and a small bit of writing. A friend of mine is there and loves it. They seem to care more about you being musical than having 16 years of lessons.

At the Trinity open day the lecturer (in 2006) was really horrible to anyone asking questions about studying music without loads of training. The entrance exam is pretty difficult or at least is meant to be but the two girls I know that went for it got it (but one had dropped out by Halloween).

I don't remember much about the Maynooth degree. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

if you find user white_falon on boards he will fill you in on music in WIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

sorry white_falcon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 susie_soho

thanx! does anybody know about the applied music course at dkit? the description on their website sounds great, but nobody seems to know anything about it. bad sign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

not a bad sign at all, my friend is studying it in DKIT and he says that it can be a bit demanding but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,040 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I did music in UCD as part of an Arts degree. Avoid like the plague. By the time you get to final year, which was the only year that counted towards my degree (I think that's all changed now though) it was entirely musicology. Writing 3000 word essays about Brahms 2nd symphony etc. Torture.

If you're interested in performance or composition stay the hell away from UCD

Advertisement