Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I may have alzheimer's...

• 12-12-2007 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

... but at least I don't have alzheimer's.

On which note I bring bad tidings.

Terry Pratchett has issued this statement:
    Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early
    onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I
    expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet :o)

Terry Pratchett

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should
    be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as
    will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell.
    I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I
    would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.

This being a link

Uh, not so hot news.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

aaw, thats pretty pants..

i hope some high end experts in brain chemestry are discworld fans..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

As do I, keep fighting the good fight Mr P.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Bad news indeed, first Robert Jordan (Wheel Of Time) passes away in September and now this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Read an article in yesterdays daily mail that they have made great inroads into alzheimers with a camera device which helps suffers remember stuff

Have to see if i can find the article in question ( no pun intended )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

I nearly threw my laptop on the ground when I read that earlier, get away from me bad news. Poor Terry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

This is indeed sad news! :( I'd like to find out more about the exact form of the disease he has and what the prognosis is...

As the guy himself said, he's going to die anyway. But he seems mildly optimistic with it though.

I do hope his condition doesn't worsen anytime soon. It's going to be a hard-hit to the literary world once he stops writing. And an unbelievably hard-hit to me; I've quite literally grew up reading his books from a very young age (well, I consider 10 to be young)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

poor terry :( the man's a leg end

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Terrible news. I had a very close relative who died of Alzeimers, it is not pretty.

According to the mail, when Terry's doctor asked him if he was experiencing memory losses, he replied "not that I can remember." :)

Of course Alzheimers does not kill people. There's always a possibility Terry will get the chance to live out the rest of his days with only a bit of memory loss to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Not just Robert Jordan but David Gemmel as well. Some of my favourate authors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Just got this news there earlier, Terry Pratchett, probably one of the best authors around today, has just been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. This means he has between five and seven years before he becomes essentially a vegetable, although it might be less. Heres the link where he mentions it.
    Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet :o)

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell.

I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.
    He will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Just got this news there earlier, Terry Pratchett, probably one of the best authors around today, has just been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers. This means he has between five and seven years before he becomes essentially a vegetable, although it might be less. Heres the link where he mentions it.

He will be missed.

Sorry to hear this -

Doh! Moved from AH before anyone starts complaining.

Gah not Gemmell too! What the hell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

read this yesterday, its an awful disease for anyone to get.

Mordeth, do you reckon pratchett should take cocaine so this article can get more media coverage?? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Sad news. My Grandfather suffered from this before he died. Horrible infliction. :(

I love the way TP writes, my favourite. Hope he gets another few books in while he still can.

His typical humour came out in that message he wrote - I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while knowing that things don't ever stay quiet on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

There are two threads about this....

merge please

I just found out Gemmell died recently too, another mighty pisser. Can we focus our technological efforts on keeping decent authors alive please? Brains inna tank ftw!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

faceman wrote: »
    read this yesterday, its an awful disease for anyone to get.

Mordeth, do you reckon pratchett should take cocaine so this article can get more media coverage?? :p

for terry, I'd suggest ecstasy. I think it'd be hilarious to read a discworld with a loved up rincewind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Awful news. I have only read a handful of his books, and he is such a funny writer. Such a dry and off-the-wall style of writing. Even when faced with an illness such as this, he still manages to shine. Gg terry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

I'm not reading any more. F**k sake. The only two series of books that absolutely love and the authors go and get all sick (The legendary and great late Robert Jordan being the other - RIP). For that reason and for the safety of all authors out there, I'm giving up on reading for pleasure. Sure only 9% of people my age read for pleasure anyway.

Reading the thousands of comments on the various Wheel of Time websites had me near tears for ages... And now this?

But at least his announcement is in classic Pratchett style. Dry humour and witty 'til the cows come home. I wish him the best and hope the big man takes it as well as he can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Wow, didn't know about Jordan.

Did he, eh, finish the series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Did he, eh, finish the series?

Eh... kind of. He had a good bit of it written. But in the end he went quite quickly but he apparently dictated the end from his bed. He has a good few people who have helped him write the books... so the last one will apparently be released, mostly ghost written and will be as near as you can get to the finished article. I know that sounds awful selfish talking about the end of the book series but he himself had it as a high enough priority.

It would be an awful pity* if his epic work went unfinished.

Have to say, I've only read to about book 8 or 9, purely because I got very frustrated with them. I hear they pick up at 11 or something, bit its good to hear they won't go unfinished. It's been years since I read one. Good excuse to start again!

Gah! It's just hit me! Jordan dead and Pratchett with Alzheimers! Two of the biggest authors in my life! Both have helped me avoid studying for exams on several occasions.... :(

*Tiny bit of an understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

He will be missed.

He's not dead yet!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Kinda wish I hadn't found this thread. After all, ignorance is bliss, and I can't imagine world without Terry Pratchett. I'm starting to feel like I did when Heinlein died. :(

Wow... coincidences! I started the Wheel of Time series again this week! :eek:

Advertisement