Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halogen Downlighters

Options
  • 12-12-2007 4:35pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a speculative question regarding the recent Budget. Does the proposed ban include halogen bulbs? If so, what kind of replacements are available for the thousands of people that have these downlighters stuck in their ceiling?

I think I remember seeing CFL versions the 230V halogens, but they were considerably larger (and may not suit a lot of fittings). As for low voltage MR16 type fittings, any LED versions of these I've seen don't have great lumens output.

Can anybody suggest alternatives?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi Michael,

There are lots of opinions on this thread, and there are even more

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193375

LEDS are getting better all the time, but IMO CFLs are the next best thing to halogens, you have all the dimming issues to. This might spark another round of lamp talk.:)

You'd be better off reading this thread and see what you think, the size of the CFLs hampers their use in very few applications, namely very small ceiling space and directional lamp holders.

the LEDs and the CFLs both use a GU10 lamp holder, so you can check them for yourself as the application has a huge amount to do with it, i.e are your fittings in place and you want a lamp for lamp replacement, or can you design the layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just a speculative question regarding the recent Budget. Does the proposed ban include halogen bulbs?

Yes, it does. Halogen are incandescent technology too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Yes, it does. Halogen are incandescent technology too.

It has nothing to do with incandesence, it's to do with lumens per watt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's the deciding factor?
    What's the cut-off point? 2 l/W?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

10-10-20 wrote: »
    That's the deciding factor?
    What's the cut-off point? 2 l/W?

25 l/w.

The best halogen downlighters reach 24 l/w

Australia is going with 20 l/w

Some interesting reading here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

the only issue i see is with security lights, all the 500W and 250W halogen lamps out there with no real alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Stoner wrote: »
    the only issue i see is with security lights, all the 500W and 250W halogen lamps out there with no real alternative

Hopefully by the time this is brought in it will have been modified to include a bit of common sense, or we'll all be going to Newry every few weeks.

Advertisement