Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining GS

Options
  • 11-12-2007 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭

Hi

I plan on applying to join the Gards when I finish my LC next year.Yes I will be young but it is something I have wanted to do since 1st/2nd year!!Dream job I guess you could say...
    I am currently a Recruit in the Army Reserve,and joining the Army would be my 2nd choice but I have my heart set on applying for GS..

My point of starting this thread you say?I just want to know what current members of GS have to say about the job....what it is like?do you enjoy it etc.Basically,any tips/advice!
    One more thing,the recruitment process has changed dramatically(it is now done in cycles every couple of months),can anyone who is in T'more due to this process give any info on it?
    Anyway,any advice or info you can offer me will be taken on board!Thanks in advance,greatly appreciate your responses!
    Regards,
    eroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Check out link below for tips on the recruitment process http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055066441&page=359

I am only in the job 6 months now and I'm loving it. There are crap times too but mostly is all good

There were a few 18 yr olds in my intake in college. I suppose it really comes down to maturity in the end. If you feel you are mature enough then go for it.

However expect to get a station a long way from home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

TheNog wrote: »
    Check out link below for tips on the recruitment process http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055066441&page=359

I am only in the job 6 months now and I'm loving it. There are crap times too but mostly is all good

There were a few 18 yr olds in my intake in college. I suppose it really comes down to maturity in the end. If you feel you are mature enough then go for it.

However expect to get a station a long way from home

Thanks..especially for not saying ''go to college first''

As regards station...I live on Clare/Limerick City border so to get away from the place would be feckin great...change of scenery!:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

There are those who will tell you to go to college first and get some life experience. It's all down to the individual. There was a young guy in Garnerville who just turned 19 when he came through the gates. That meant he must have applied when he was 18.

If you feel you are ready for policing, then I say go for it.

thanks psni

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

keep in mind that joining will be life changing for you. suppose it'll be life changing anyway cos you will be leaving school and getting a full time job.

ok i'm feeling silly now

:confused:

• Advertisement

no worries;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

In my view I think its a good idea to go out and do other jobs and see a bit of life before joining the job. The reason for this is that I know a couple of lads who joined straight out of school, and though they're excellent coppers, both of em have regrets that they don't know anything other than the job.

Policing can make you ultra cynical, suspicious, and pessimistic in your outlook on life. With this in mind, imo, its an idea to have a bit of life experience prior to joining up.....so as you get a more balanced view of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

I second MetMan's post. I first applied for the job when I left school at 18, 3 months and 3 days (the eact age you had to be to join the Met back then) and failed the interview because they said they preferred people with more life experience. Reapplied 6 years later after working in retail and I'm really gald I did. I don't think I would have lasted had I joined at 18.

Some police services used to have a minimum joining age of 21. Not sure if that still stands though.

also,can anyone explain the security clearance/background check to me?
    I've never had any trouble w/ the Gardai,only ever been in a station twice in my whole life...and that was for passports:D

Advertisement