Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Christmas

Options
  • 11-12-2007 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

What's the chances of us seeing a white Christmas this year???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

What's the chances of us seeing a white Christmas this year???
    Lol, same as every year...ie very unlikely!
    Besides, it's impossible to forecast accurately more than 4days away, let alone two weeks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Two hopes I'd say (Bob and no!)!

However, Metcheck are currently forecasting a max. temp. of +1.0c all day on the 25th with precipitation! But this changes every day - yesterday they were forecasting +12.0c for most of the day!

Impossible for anybody to forecast this long out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The earliest in which we can tell what the weather will be like(mild or cold) on the big day is probably the 20th.
    What definite weather type(dry,rain,snow etc),we will know by the 23rd.

This is as good as anyone can predict im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Cheers for the answers folks. Just have to wait and hope :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Paddy Power.ie::

White Christmas in Dublin?
    Snowfall must be officially registered at Dublin Airport for YES bets to be a winner. Applies to 25th Dec 2007.

No 1 - 8
    Yes 9 - 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'll hazard the guess that the cold high will be shrinking away into eastern Europe and a nice juicy low will bring rain and very mild weather for Christmas to most of the British Isles and all of Ireland. 12-14 C and strong S to SW winds for Santa's visit.

The emphasis is on the word guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Rtavn3121.png

;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think it will be mild as well, perhaps mild double figures all the way from now till the 25th as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tom1975

I guess the fact that we got one in 2004 rules out the likelihood for the next 100 years or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

After hours of scouring the internet, I found this:

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast3.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=athlone&metric=1

(Or maybe I just happened to notice it on a widget, and then found this thread ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That looks horribly Bartlettesque maquiladora on the 6z for 27th .....thats the first half of January written off then if it plays out like that..

That said it's not far from an omega either, interesting stuff.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i bet there will be snow a day or two after Christmas Day this seems to be quite common or maybe not?

i bet there will be snow a day or two after Christmas Day this seems to be quite common or maybe not?
    27th Dec 2000, i had 2 inches of snow.Soooo close,very festive though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Snowbie wrote: »
    27th Dec 2000, i had 2 inches of snow.Soooo close,very festive though

I remember that, it was really fantastic and was a good dumping that lasted nearly a week iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What are the chances? Might the cold eastern air be met by a westerly at just the right moment?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:o

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    What are the chances? Might the cold eastern air be met by a westerly at just the right moment?

Mike.
    Merged.

Looks interesting Mike but atm i dont think there be much of a battle.
    The highest ground in the north might be looking a few snowflakes but it is still awhile away.This HP could split and move back northwards with a block from the atlantic following this breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

bye bye a white christmas for another year - unless you live in the northeast of England and Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep Met have are saying:

Christmas Day: Windy and mainly dry with some bright or sunny spells; just a few scattered showers possible. Temperatures in the range 8 to 10 degrees in a strong to gale force southwesterly wind

• Advertisement

Absolutely no chance of snow on Xmas day.
    The met can be certain of that now later than usual but now because theres no nearby cold air that can get here quick enough and the by now almost reliable synoptics for that time frame indicate that it can't.
    Model uncertainty means though they are still unsure say to 20% as to exactly the weather on Tuesday.
    They are 80% sure though.

Advertisement