Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Management Company Watchdog

Options
  • 11-12-2007 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

I recently established some details which might be useful to resident's of managed estates.

The Government has set up a body to act as a management company ombudsman it is called the National Property Services Regulatory Authority.

One slight snag, although the Regulatory Authority is now established all be in a peculiarly Irish fashion, it doesn't have any legislation to back it up yet!

The Dept of Justice (Min. Brian Lenihan TD) is currently preparing legislation, having establised and which his Department will chair, a High Level Interdepartment Committee on Multi Unit Develpoments which is due according to the Department's web site (read the sections entitled Property Services Regulatory Authority Bill, and Other matters under consideration) to report on future legislation in this area before the end of this year.

However I made some further enquiries into this proposed legislation and it is likely that it will not come before the Dail for a long time. My guess and it's purley a personal guess, is that it will be at least two years or more before the Bills are presented before the Dail and probably another 18 months after that before it is finally voted on and enacted.

So all told, if eveything goes to plan we might have legislation to curtail wayward property management companies, sometime in around 20011/12.

But for what it's worth, if you're are having difficulties with management company related issues. Contact the Authority they may and I stress only may be able to assist, details below.

National Property Services Regulatory Authority.
    Floor 3 Harcourt Centre Harcourt St, Dublin 2. Ph 01 4086120.

Advertisement