Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards conspiracy theories sub forums?

Options
  • 11-12-2007 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

kippy wrote: »
    Chemtrails eh?
    This has to be one of the more "Out there" conspiracy theories I've seen.
    I know this is the conspiracys forum but seriously, dont we have a "Fantasys" forum as well?
    Kippy

While kippys post above from the chem trails thread is clearly meant to ridicule the previous post, he has inadvertently raised a good point.

Sub forums might be a good idea to help resolve the issues that bog this forum down.

There is a whole range of conspiracy thought in areas such as metaphysics, spirituality, other dimensions, sylphs and elementals, aliens, reptilians (gasp!). the occult, ..a long list - which doesnt stand a chance of being discussed around here, for obvious reasons.

Another good reason for creating sub forums is maybe there will be less acrimony and arguing if certain people dont talk to each other. And I do believe this will result in more hits and participants on this board if people feel they can discuss conspiracy thought in general (even if its in the "woo woo corner" subforum or such) without the usual responses from the usual suspects.

Mods, your thoughts? anyone else?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

jessop1 wrote: »
    Another good reason for creating sub forums is maybe there will be less acrimony and arguing if certain people dont talk to each other.
    I think there would be less acrimony and arguing if certain people didn't get incredibly defensive every time they were asked a sensible question.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What type of subforums are you talking about? Like splitting it up for each type of theory? I don't know if that'd help, really. There isn't really enough interest in the forum to warrant breaking it into sub-forums.

Would it be an idea to have say, theorist only threads, or skeptic only threads, in the same way the Christianity forum has Christian only threads where non-christians don't post. Granted, this could just end up with every thread barring non-believers, or believers, but if people could use the system like adults, then it'd give theorists a chance to talk only with like minded people but still leave room for skeptics to create a sister thread to talk about the original one. Does this make sense, or should I just go back to my coffee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

humanji wrote: »
    What type of subforums are you talking about? Like splitting it up for each type of theory? I don't know if that'd help, really. There isn't really enough interest in the forum to warrant breaking it into sub-forums.

Would it be an idea to have say, theorist only threads, or skeptic only threads, in the same way the Christianity forum has Christian only threads where non-christians don't post. Granted, this could just end up with every thread barring non-believers, or believers, but if people could use the system like adults, then it'd give theorists a chance to talk only with like minded people but still leave room for skeptics to create a sister thread to talk about the original one. Does this make sense, or should I just go back to my coffee?

It sounds like alot of work to manage a small community subforum. I'd suggest that Jessop accept the fact that his theories will be faced by critical and rational thinking, and he should welcome this fact. If his theories are robust and solid, they should stand up to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well why can't they have the odd thread where no "outsiders" will continually question them? As I said Christianity can do it, and the whole Islam forum can has it. It won't make that much of a difference, just the odd thread that we don't post in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Another good reason for creating sub forums is maybe there will be less acrimony and arguing if certain people dont talk to each other.

Unless you're advocating the idea that there be a "no skeptics" forum (or set of fora), then I don't see how subforums will remove what you see as a problem.
    And I do believe this will result in more hits and participants on this board if people feel they can discuss conspiracy thought in general (even if its in the "woo woo corner" subforum or such) without the usual responses from the usual suspects.
    As already mentioned, the Christianity forum manages this without the need for sub-fora. I believe the same solution has been proposed here more than once. Indeed, if my memory ias right, it was proposed one of the last times you complained about the fact that CT fans couldn't have a discussion amongst themselves without skeptics butting in.

Personally, I would see this as a better way of approaching what you see as a problem. Let the OP explicitly say that they don't want skeptics, and you should be allowed to have a skeptic-free discussion.

Where I see the problem is that most conspiracy-theory advocates (not just on this forum) insist that they want skeptical input....as long as its of some undefined nature different to the skeptical input they are currently receiving.

Its a tough call for CT fans. If someone says "I don't want criticism and analysis", then its almost certaintly going to be read as "deep down, I know I can't propertly defend my position against criticism and analysis". The only way to prove that wrong is to allow the criticism and analysis...but that's effectively what your sub-forum idea is going to try and avoid.

Ironically, its usually the CTs who insist that there's a conspiracy of silence against them...that they aren't listened to or taken seriously. But what happens when someone does listen to them and takes them seriously enough to hold their ideas to real world standards? Why....they cry wolf and ask for the nasty men to be silenced.

Ultimately, I would argue that you'd be better campaigning for a hard line to be taken on those who post like that example of Kippy's that you posted...that people who ridicule other points of view without even attempting to deal with the detail or reasons why should not be tolerated. Of course, I can't see you agreeing with this, because I'm struggling to find the last post of yours where this wasn't how you countered whoever it was you were responding to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭jessop1

anyhoo, whats the chances of getting the requested subforum-isation mods?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Another good reason for creating sub forums is maybe there will be less acrimony and arguing if certain people dont talk to each other. And I do believe this will result in more hits and participants on this board if people feel they can discuss conspiracy thought in general (even if its in the "woo woo corner" subforum or such) without the usual responses from the usual suspects.

the very nature of boards is that people post an opinion and others disagree with it. it's what makes things on all the boards forums interesting to read and partake in.

the only sub-forum i personally would like to see and have been thinking about putting to the admins is a conspiracy theories forum debate team - v - sceptic forums debate team.

i think it could be interesting and if certain ground rules are layed down similiar to the actual boards debating forum it could make for some very interesting reading.

basically backed up rational researched facts from , no egos , no back biting , each side picks one topic per month to debate or something.

I do get what jessop is getting at though and so I've created a new thread (and it will be the only thread and will be subject to some rules) that can be a skeptic free zone. i will sticky the thread and it can be used to discuss everything and anything without fear of skeptical input. Indeed it may even spurn a few new threads from people wanting to further discuss points.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

here is the new thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I don't think subforums are necessary. I've never agreed with hiding the conspiracy forum in the Hosted/Society category alongside the Skeptics forum... asking for trouble tbh. Don't understand why this forum couldn't be in Rec - it's popular and active? Paranormal is there..... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭zippy 99

While kippys post above from the chem trails thread is clearly meant to ridicule the previous post, he has inadvertently raised a good point.

Sub forums might be a good idea to help resolve the issues that bog this forum down.

There is a whole range of conspiracy thought in areas such as metaphysics, spirituality, other dimensions, sylphs and elementals, aliens, reptilians (gasp!). the occult, ..a long list - which doesnt stand a chance of being discussed around here, for obvious reasons.

Very good idea.

Any topic raised here seems to be pounced upon by 6-7 posters discrediting its nature. Its almost seems like these people are waiting idle for the chance, almost as if it is their job...

I cant understand why posters who are not open to new ideas bother with this conspiracy theory forum in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

zippy 99 wrote: »
    Very good idea.

Any topic raised here seems to be pounced upon by 6-7 posters discrediting its nature. Its almost seems like these people are waiting idle for the chance, almost as if it is their job...

I cant understand why posters who are not open to new ideas bother with this conspiracy theory forum in the first place.
    You've only been here a day or two, give it time to understand how it works and have a good look around. It's difficult to get a good grasp of a forum in the small amount of time that you have been here for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

zippy 99 wrote: »

I wish I could paid for such a job :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Kernel wrote: »
    I don't think subforums are necessary. I've never agreed with hiding the conspiracy forum in the Hosted/Society category alongside the Skeptics forum... asking for trouble tbh. Don't understand why this forum couldn't be in Rec - it's popular and active? Paranormal is there..... :confused:

This still hasn't been answered. Could one of the mods clarify this one for me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

miju wrote: »
    i think it could be interesting and if certain ground rules are layed down similiar to the actual boards debating forum it could make for some very interesting reading.

basically backed up rational researched facts from , no egos , no back biting , each side picks one topic per month to debate or something.

Now this I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

miju wrote: »
    rational researched facts
    We is still talking about Conspiracy Theories here, right ;):D

If you included facts, it'd be moved to AH, Politics, or the Military forums, I'd say, and then bounced to the TCN soon afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

miju wrote:

Like Hobbes I agree, and nominally put myself forward, and agree to independent moderation of said thread. I can come off as abrasive at times, but I think this is an interesting idea and would abide by an independent moderate's judgment.

I'd suggest as a start either the JKF assassination, or Diana's assasination, although I'd welcome an alternative. One thing I would disagree with would be a "do you believe there is a NWO" which I feel would be a conspiracy theorist firing off quotes from people without context or source, we've seen how such an argument would descend into interpretation and subjective opinion. I'd much rather argue the actual facts of events like at Daley Plaza.

Advertisement