Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Not exclusively Non Drinkers Club'

Options
  • 11-12-2007 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Firstly, congratulations on this forum. Badly needed. I think I've read enough rubbish about alcohol & cocaine etc. in After Hours and BGRH.

There are few forums that I frequent but I was happy to see this one tonight in the drop down menu. I drink A LOT; but just to be social. I only drink Friday and Saturday nights 'on the lash' with the lads. I don't like the taste and it would never occur to me to ever open a can whilst watching TV etc. If I was to watch a match on a Sunday afternoon in town I'd have a lucozade.

Ireland's social scene revolves around alcohol, not entirely, but close. However, I think there is another thing endemic to Ireland's social struture and it is that social structure itself. We love to be around other people -chatting, having fun, gossiping maybe, on the pull, reflecting on life.........

Alcohol is a vehicle that makes it easier to do these with little effort. I find it's difficult not too drink when others around you are. But if you are surrounded by a group who are not drinking it's just as easy to do all of the above. It's not the alcohol most people want but the feeling of being wanted and fitting in.

So in short (finally says you!), I like the bullet proofing effect of alcohol when I'm out with others drinking. Equally I love doing non drink related things without always ending up in a pub afterwards.

I'm well up for participating in some sort of event organised here.

I'm not sure if I capture what others think this forum should be used for when I say that it should not be an AA meeting, not a place to bitch about 'them there drinking types' and not an 'Activity Club'. If I want to go hiking I'll visit the orienteering forum, likewise sailing etc.

It should however be somewhere things can be organised that mostly take place in an alcohol fuelled environment but you'd like to try without that aspect e.g. House parties, gigs, comedy shows etc. Maybe even going on the pull! :D (You mean you can sleaze over the opposite sex sober?)

Interested to hear your views.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭NonDrinkersClub

Really glad you like the forum and I think you've raised some very good points here :)

The original intention was to set-up a place where people could organise non-drinking events, meet up and have fun! It's the alternative to pub-culture in that respect.

I agree, people do love ‘to be around other people -chatting, having fun, gossiping maybe, on the pull, reflecting on life.........’ but sometimes it can be quite draining when you’re the only sober person. The way I see it, you have three choices:

1) Have a drink even though you’re not really into it
    2) Stay and don’t drink
    3) Stay at home
    4) Do something you’d like to do that doesn’t involve alcohol

When all of your friends drink it’s hard not to feel like a social outcast sometimes. Maybe you’re the only non-drinker you know! That’s why it’s important that non-drinkers come together to form a social group of their own. Until recently, there was no forum anywhere for non-drinkers. Now anyone who visits can feel safe in the knowledge that they’re not the only one…there are lots of non-drinkers out there.

And the best part is, it’s not exclusive to non-drinkers! So if you have friends that drink and they are interested in participating in non-drinking events, you can bring them along.

Some of the events we will be organising could be in conjunction with other Activity Club forums, but there’s one difference…they will definitely not end up in the pub. The people you’ll meet at events like this will mostly be non-drinkers…so you could end up making new non-drinking friends who’d be more than happy to meet up with you again.

I think that it's great that people want to express their views about drinking society and they should use this forum for any non-drinking topic – even AA Meetings!

Most non-drinkers don’t want to be pushed into alcohol fuelled environments just to see if they can make it through the night sober and still have fun. If we do organise events, I would rather cater for the masses then the handful of non-drinkers that can actually go out with their drinking friends all the time. I know I can’t.

So if there’s a comedy show or a gig on, it’s important for each person to judge beforehand just how much the level of drinking will impact on their night. If they think they can deal with it and if they believe in the old saying ‘there’s strength in numbers’ then they should go. If not, there’ll be plenty of other events in non-drinking environments.

With regard to the sleazing (hehe!) :p I’m thinking of setting up a speed-dating night for non-drinkers. I’ll post something about this later

Thanks for your post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

So is there going to be activities? If so as a new, non-drinker I would love to be involved:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Karen33 wrote: »
    So is there going to be activities? If so as a new, non-drinker I would love to be involved:D

Non Drinkers Club Beers coming soon. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭NonDrinkersClub

Yeah - they'll be non alcoholic beers...now get outta here ya joker! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Elena22

Hi,

Is there any non-drinking clubs in the west of Ireland like Mayo or Galway?

• Advertisement
Advertisement